Young but saavy, men move forward

Somewhere in Oklahoma 19 years ago, a great Warrior was born. His destiny: to break a 30-year-old track and field record at EC and move on to greater things. This warrior’s name, Harold Young.

Born into a family of seven, Young who is a middle child, has always played sports just like his siblings. Young played tight-end in football and center in basketball, though has found his niche in track and field.

Young was encouraged to throw shot put in high school. However, his impressions of the sport have changed since he first threw that 16-pound ball.

“So I came out there, threw it and didn’t like it what so ever,” he said. “I threw it wrong; my arm was killing me, I didn’t like it.”

Through perseverance and the fact that he had nothing else to do, Young decided to stick around and keep practice throwing.

“And then I got better,” he said. “So I started liking it and loving it.”

Since someone first being introduced to the shot put and discus, his odyssey from Oklahoma to California begun. Young, who lives with his father, his parents got divorced when he was 7, said that he first tried Harbor College, but after learning they don’t have a track and field team, he tried out for EC.

Young broke a 30-year-old record in high school before he leaving for California, where he also set a new record after 30 years.

“At first, when I did it in high school, it felt real good,” he said. “Everybody made such a big deal about it, and then I came out here and they did the same thing.”

Young said that it made him feel real good. He also was taken by surprise by all the attention he received

. “The newspapers came and everything,” he said. “And I was like, wow. So I felt really on top.”

Young said that he isn’t satisfied with his record-breaking performance. He says he hopes to set a mark that won’t be broken for more than 30 years.

A warrior is not a warrior without someone pushing him to be his or her to be their best. For Young, the person who inspires him to be the best is his father.

Young said that even though his father doesn’t know anything about track and field, he is always there for him with support.

“He kept telling me to keep trying, keep trying,” Young said. “I want to see you in the Olympics.”

Young says at EC he feels like he fits right in. In the early mornings, he can be found by the pool building surrounded by teammates who have become his friends.

Young says his favorite memory was finding out that he broke the EC record in shot put, improving the record from 166 to 168.

Young said he celebrated in euphoria with his teammates afterward.

“All my teammates, we all knew,” he said. “Everybody was cheering.”

Young said that he knew that he was going to break the college record. He said that when he arrived that day, that he felt more confident than he usually does.

“I had all the confidence in the world,” he said. “I knew I could do it.”

But Young broke the record once again at CSU Long Beach improving on his record making it 179.

“I felt good,” he said. “But I felt I could have thrown farther. I feel proud of myself, though.”

Young has also set the record in the discus throw. Young says that he has hopes of representing the United States in the Olympics, which will be held in Greece.

Coach Dean Lofgren says that Young can be added to the team at any moment.

Since moving from Oklahoma, Young says that he loves California because of the weather and In and Out burgers.

While there are many things he enjoys, he says he hasn’t forgotten where he comes from. He hasn’t forgotten where he was born.

“You may take the boy out of the country,” he said, “but you can’t take the country out of the boy.”