Rain stops meet; future looks bright for team

Sometimes being put in a difficult situation can be a good thing. That is message coach Dean Lofgren will convey to his men’s and women’s track and field teams, following the loss of several key participants while playing in the ultra-competitive South Coast Conference (SCC).

The South Coast Conference carries some of the best track teams in the state for the men. While it will be difficult getting into state championships, Lofgren believes that should they make it through that they can win.

“The best schools are all here in the SCC,” Lofgren said

Following a rained-out cancellation of both the men’s and women’s first two tournaments, the Warriors are looking forward to their meet today at Pasadena, a meet that will feature all five colleges in the SCC.

While they are focused on the upcoming match, they also have an open eye on Saturday, an event which will pit the Warriors’ players against competitors from various universities and community colleges from all across California.

“On Saturday, we will have a big meet at CSU Long Beach,” Lofgren said.

Following a season in which Harold Young won state titles in both the shot put and discus last year and broke a couple of records, he is prepped for another big year.

The women’s team will follow an eighth place ranking out of 92 other programs; the women’s track and field team looks to be fully stocked and ready to go.

“Our overall team is probably one of the strongest we’ve had in the last three or four years,” assistant coach Kevin Hughley said.

The team had a good recruiting year, bringing in a strong hurdler in Specelle Williams, one of the best in the area; Star Thurman, who’s one of the best and triple jumpers in Southern California, Shammeer Dawson, who rounds what is the core of the sprint group.

El Camino will focus on its two top returnees in Caitlin Barrow and Krystal Johnson, both of whom were qualifiers for state on last year’s 4 by 400 meter relay team.

“Caitlin is our team leader on the field out there,” said Lofgren. “She does the high jump, long jump, triple jump and she’s really developed this last year in the sprints.”

Tashonia Mitchell from Westchester will help add some depth. She has already topped her best throw from last year.

Stephaine Robbins already qualified for the So Cal Championships in the shot put with a throw of 39 1/2. That was good enough to place her seventh of all time.