Courage, dedication define EC athletes

This is my last column. I have enjoyed covering EC sports – not only because it’s fun to watch the games but also because the enthusiasm and dedication of our athletes are inspiring.

I especially enjoyed watching our football team because the players showed so much heart and determination this year.

Quarterback Matt Engle was always cool and collected under pressure, making excellent decisions and being a great leader. Defensive back Keith Ellison gave 100 percent effort on every play I ever saw him make. Defensive linemen Leon and David Lautalo were always courageous, never backing down from challenges in the trenches and often playing with injuries.

One of my favorite players is middle linebacker Elias Ellis. He is a ferocious defensive player, but off the field is always friendly, humble and easy to talk to.

After being named to the all-conference first team, he gave the credit to his teammates and coaches.

“I’m happy because it’s an honor that doesn’t come all the time,” he said. “Our goal was to play hard and give it all you had, and it benefits every person on the team. The award just shows that all the things we do at EC make a difference.”

This spring, I will try to watch as many sports as possible, including baseball, softball, swimming, tennis and track and field.

EC’s track team had the best throwers in the state last year, with Harold Young as state champion in the shot put and discus. He will be even more dominant this year.

David Guerin, whose school record in the shot put was surpassed by Young, won’t be competing but will work out with the team. EC’s other strong throwers are David’s brother Darryl Guerin, Andre Rochelle and Andrew Gambino, who are all capable of outstanding marks.

The EC throwers are very close, supporting and cheering each other even while competing against each other for first place in most meets.

“David Guerin helped me be successful,” Young said. “He pushed me and helped me. I like having these guys to work out with. They are good friends and we are going to be hard to beat this year.”

All of the sports at EC are worth attending to cheer and support our athletes. This newspaper has a policy of covering every sport every issue, because we believe intercollegiate sports are important.

If more students came to the games, I am sure they would enjoy it as much as I do.