Basketball teams still seeking first wins of year

Trying to cope with a roster filled with freshman, the men’s (0-3) and women’s (0-4) basketball teams go into their next games winless.

Faciing Compton Friday, the men’s and women’s basketball teams look to increase scoring production, rebounding and defensive intensity.

” (Compton has) been very good, and very athletic,” men’s coach Steve Shaw said. “So that is a game we are going to have to be ready, like all the games, to go and play. They are one of many tough teams on our schedule.”

The women, who were defeated by Santa Barbara Nov. 15, 52-46, are working on improving their offense and learning each other’s strengths.

They are coping with the loss of leading scorer Samania Black and Cheree Whorley.

“It’s hard because everybody wants to do their own thing,” forward Ashley Wallace said. “But we all have to work together and play together.”

With their shooting percentage currently at 32 percent, Shaw believes for the women to be successful it must be closer to 40 percent.

“We need to know who the people are who can shoot the ball well on our team and work on offense to get them shots,” Shaw said. “And the women that aren’t quite as capable in that part of that game be willing to sacrifice that part of the game for the others.”

Against Santa Barbara, the women entered halftime tied at 23.

Led by forward Terra Dixon, who had 18 points and 8 rebounds, and Mallory Ellis, with 14 points and 6 rebounds, the Warriors kept it close until the final three minutes.

“We really buckled down and played hard-nosed defense and shut them down offensively, which in turn, got us going in our transition game and helped our offense a little bit,” assistant coach Michael Housk “It was probably our best game of the year, even though we lost.”

Scoring has been a problem for the men. Against L. A. Trade Tech last Friday, the Warriors lost 81-66.

Facing similar difficulties as the women, the men play Golden West Friday with only two returning players, Anthony Bowman and Cameron Philips.

“We will approach the game the same way as before,” assistant coach Michael Fenison said. “Pick up the tempo and try to come up with a win.”

Foul trouble has caused difficulties late in games.

“We just need to go back to a more traditional game and grind it out,” Fenison said. “Get some turnovers and pick the passing game up. We just need to work harder and improve. Just grab some rebounds and make buckets.”

At the Tip Off Tournament in Glendale two weeks ago, the men lost their first game to Santa Barbara 75-52. In the second game against Victor Valley, the team narrowly lost 83-82.

Despite difficulties, Fenison said he believes that the team has worked well together.

“I think they have all played well. Anthony Bowman has done really well for us so far,” he said.