Team goes 2-2 in Citrus Tourney

After getting off to a good start, the women’s water polo team was defeated, 17-1 by Citrus and 14-3, by L. A. Valley in the Citrus Tournament last weekend.

However, making a comeback in the second and fourth matches, the Warriors won, 7-1 against College of the Canyons and 7-5, against Saddleback.

“In the Citrus Tournament, we did really well; we played two teams that were very powerful and we also played two that were good games,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

Stanbury said when it came to defense, the team did a great job of switching when it needed to cover people.

“I think a lot of things we’ve been working on in practice are actually showing up in games,” Stanbury said.

“We’re being more organized with our offense and with our ability to deal with somebody who’s putting pressure on us,” he added.

The key players in the tournament were Allyson Steiner scoring nine goals; Jill Herbert, three goals; Laura Lizarzaburu, 3 goals; with Michelle Massey and Stephanie Teale each scoring one goal.

“Kelly Lancaster had 40 saves tying the (single-season college) record and we still have five games to play; she should go well beyond the record,” Stanbury said.

Commenting on the opposition, Allyson Steiner said her and teammates played OK in the tournament and they kind of expected to win the games they did.

“We’ve improved a lot since the beginning of the season; we did a good job,” Steiner said.

Stanbury said even though they hadn’t played College of the Canyons, he thought his team had a good chance to beat them based on its performance against other teams.

“I didn’t expect we’d be able to dominate them, but it was a really good defensive effort on our part,” Stanbury said.

EC is ranked fourth in the conference and is trying to maintain its postion.

“This is a better spot than I thought we might be in,” he added.

As far as expectations for the game with L. A. Trade Tech yesterday, the team was not sure about the competition it would face and as of deadline for the Union, scores were not available.

“We don’t know what they have since we’ve never played with them,” Steiner said of facing Trade Tech.

In addition, Stanbury said, “We haven’t played them before, but they’ve lost to teams we’ve beaten, so I’m expecting we’ll be able to beat them also.”