Gridders look to tame Tigers’ tenacity

With half the season completed, the EC football team is the confident owner of a 4-1 (2-1 conference) record.

The Warriors were off last week, as the entire Mission Conference enjoyed a break heading into the second half of the season.

The tone for EC’s successful first half might have been set early in the first game against Ventura, when the Warriors gave up two quick touchdowns then showed the determination that has been a highlight of this team.

The Warriors quickly tied Ventura, then kept scoring for a convincing 55-30 road victory, largely on the strength of Matt Engle’s 371 yards and five touchdown passes.

EC takes on the Riverside Tigers (1-4, 1-2) Saturday at Murdock Stadium.

Although Riverside notched its first victory of the season only last week in defeating Golden West 34-28, all of Riverside’s losses have been by close scores.

“They are a very underrated football team,” coach John Featherstone said. “They are the best 1-4 team in California.”

Riverside is fourth in the 12-team Mission Conference in total offense, averaging 344.4 yards per game, and is fifth in total defense, giving up 287.2 yards per game.

“Riverside has played well against all the teams they’ve faced,” Featherstone said. “They play solid fundamental football and won’t beat themselves.”

Co-offensive coordinator Gene Engle believes the Riverside defense will also present a challenge.

“They are fast off the snap, are very aggressive and have good technique,” Engle said. “The linebackers are solid, although the secondary has had its problems.”

Despite its poor record, Riverside is not being taken lightly, Featherstone said.

“This game is crucial because it’s like starting a brand-new season.”

The Warriors’ record is the product of solid and at times spectacular play in the first five games.

While the EC squad has at times allowed big plays on defense and has sometimes been unable to score after moving the ball deep into the opposition’s territory, Featherstone is generally satisfied with the team’s performance thus far.

“I’ve been especially pleased with the play of our defense,” he said. “We have played good solid defense for five straight games. There have been a couple of lapses, but we have eliminated big mistakes in the last few games. The offense has been sporadic at times, but they are a talented group that could explode at any time.”

EC is ranked second in total offense in the Mission Conference, averaging 387 yards per game. The passing offense is ranked first and the rushing offense sixth in the conference.

Engle’s accurate passing is a major reason for EC’s resurgence from last year’s 3-7 record.

He is leading the conference in passing, with 91 completions in 143 attempts for nine touchdowns with five interceptions. He is averaging 255.8 yards per game, with a completion percentage of 63.6 percent.

The defense is ranked sixth in the conference, having yielded 303.6 yards per game and 10 touchdowns, and has given up only 31 points in the last three weeks.

Elias Ellis and Keith Ellison are among the conference leaders in tackles.

Featherstone said he is basically happy to be 4-1 at this point.

“There are three undefeated teams (Mt. SAC, College of the Canyons and Grossmont), but we are in as good a situation as five other teams (with one defeat). We are still in the hunt for a state and national championship.”