“MGMT” is unique and brilliant.

The self-titled, genre-blending album “MGMT” explores an incredible sound, one novel to even the experimental band.

MGMT makes a stylized departure from the subtleties of their previous two albums, while still keeps the same mind-blowing, core elements that popularized their discography.

The first highlight in “MGMT” is the talked-up single, “Alien Days.” It defies the stereotype of a top-charting song, but it sounds better than many of the formulaic singles populating the Billboard Hot 100.

The song has its eccentricities: a literal interpretation of the lyrics is impossible and it leans heavily upon instrumental sound to make it attractive. Despite all its quirks, the hook “I love those alien days” will pull even the pickiest of music fans.

The second highlight song for the album is “Cool Song No. 2,” another unique track, containing elements of rock, and hip-hop. MGMT released this song as a single the same day the album debuted and it stands as the most radio-like song on the album. If the Columbia Records does as much to promote the song as they do for other brand-name artists, fans will pay attention and “Cool Song No. 2” could easily end up one of the year’s favorites.

The music video for the song is purposefully enigmatic. It vacillates between depictions of a drug lord’s violence and his softer, guilt-ridden conscience.

The band won’t dominate any billboards soon, but it will find a niche here and there, helped by the name it made for itself with their first album “Oracular Spectacular.”

As a collection with layers and layers of sounds to it, “MGMT” is a complete body of art that isn’t dominated by one good song like other albums.

It transcends genre and dips into rock, alternative, punk, electronic, and surf rock. Fans of Julian Casablancas, Arcade Fire, The Strokes and Vampire Weekend should give it a fair shot.

Every track has its genuine, individual merits and the collective result is MGMT’s best album so far.