2 Chainz’ new album is trash with a little treasure

2 Chainz sophomore album, B.O.A.T.S. II: Me Time, is riddled with comical hooks, luke warm lyrics and senseless punchlines. Overall, this album is a pile of trash with a hint of a smell good aroma that makes you unknowingly bob your head and perhaps recite a line or two.

Maybe it’s the hilarious one-liners or the beat that attacks your eardrums. Whatever it is, you can’t deny that 2 Chainz has a tenacious hunger and a strong fan base despite his handicap of lyricism that has catapulted him to where he is today.

In the hip hop world these days, intense desire supersedes talent. Long gone are the days when pure talent and lyrical content in hip hop music pierced ears of crazed rap fans. Today it seems like hip hop record labels are looking for rappers with extreme passion to become raps biggest star, but lacking the true skill.

Known for his eccentric style, 2 Chainz’ album opener “Fork,” starts with a skit where the artist is engaged in an argument he and his mother are having over money left in his jeans. The tone he set for his album is parallel to a B.O.A.T. going off shore and crashing soon after.

His music serves as a beacon of will power over any hurdle, over any critic or any label who says he doesn’t belong (which he doesn’t.) His craft is a perfect mixture of vivacious punchlines and humor that leaves listeners puzzled as to say “did he really just say that?”

The Atlanta rapper did attempt to shuffle the deck, allowing a Pharrel-produced track for his first single “Feds Watching,” and a collaboration with Black Eyed Peas first lady Fergie, titled “Netflix.” This array of collaboration is fitting for the artist. He needs a dope beat and features from different A-list artist to make his albums merely listenable.

The album gives off an obvious vibe that most songs were meant for the club and radio airwaves like “Used 2,” “Where you been,” and “I do it,” featuring expected patrons Drake and Lil Wayne.

The project does show some depth with songs like “Beautiful Pain,” “U da realest” and “So we can live.” However, in 2 Chainz fashion, he throws in a lot of ridiculous and non-sequiter lyrics: “My wrist deserves a shout-out, I’m like ‘What up, wrist?,’/ My stove deserves a shout-out I’m like ‘What up, stove?” He also says “He can’t ball/ castrate” and “If this rap game is my building, I got tenants.”

It seems as if 2 Chainz is relentless in continuing to make his type of music.