Family matters

After leaving her daughter at school as well as a store-bought pie for her daughter’s school bake sale, she is back at her office, ready to play her role as a finance executive.

Directed by Douglas McGarth, “I Don’t Know How She Does It” is about a woman who works at a Boston-based financial management firm yet somehow makes it home to spend time with her family.

Starring Sarah Jessica Parker as Kate Reddy, Pierce Bronan as Jack Abelhammer and Greg Kinnear as Richard Reddy, the film has the ability to capture the viewers’ attention by adding in a couple laughable moments.

During the day, Kate is a woman who focuses on her work, or should be. While she spends half of the time at work, Kate finds some time to keep in touch with her family.

Upon returning home, the first person she sees is her daughter, Emily (Emma Rayne Lyle), who chooses not to spend time or communicate with her mother due to the fact that her mother is constantly away.

On the contrary, Kate also comes home to a two-year-old son, Ben (played by both Theodore and Julius Goldberg) who offers a different attitude compared to that of his sister.

Throughout  the whole film, Kate faces another issue where her schedule doesn’t allow her to make time with her husband, Richard. And with the time she should be spending with her husband, she spends with her work partner, Jack.

The film reaches its climax when Kate, with little time on her hands, is caught in a deeper hole when Jack confesses his feelings to her. After rejecting Jack, she begins to realize that she should spend more time with her family rather than at work.

Although the conflict between family and career makes the story line not very original, it does not fail to keep the audience entertained.