Student Health Services provides virtual workshops to students at home

Student Health Services is providing new online services to help students mentally and physically during the coronavirus pandemic this fall, given that they’ve paid their $21 student semester health fee.

Susan Nilles, Student Health Services faculty coordinator, presented new virtual services being offered to students while the campus is closed, during the Aug. 27 Associated Student Organization (ASO) Senate meeting.

Alongside other health services being offered, SHS is looking to go curbside with these physical and medical services as it is appropriate for the upcoming drive-by flu shots from the flu clinic outside the Marsee Auditorium on Sept. 28 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Other services include events and workshops such as Understanding and Coping with Depression and Anxiety with Dr. Maria Nazarian every Monday at 5 p.m.; Self-Compassion on Oct. 7 at 4 p.m., and Defeating Perfectionism on Nov. 4 at 4 p.m.; all of which are part of the “‘Well-Derness’ Survival Kit” workshop series presented by Dr. Victoria Kwon.

According to a COVID-19 update from the ECC website, students can visit the Student Health Center for medications and diagnostic testing which can be free of charge or at a low cost, depending on individual student needs.

Nilles wishes these charges could be dropped entirely or at least cut by 50%, but many students like Ronnie Samayoa, radiologic technology major, appreciate the effort.

“Any attempts by the school to help students alleviate their mental stresses will be a good one,” he said.

Virtual Telemedicine visits are another resource that allow students to set up appointments to see a nurse practitioner in-person for any medical conditions with no charge.

Students can book a one-on-one appointments with psychologists to seek aid on certain conditions and to help with any hardships they may be facing.

Appointments are made readily available with a licensed psychologist through the Patient Portal and a personalized Zoom meeting invite will be sent to students 15 minutes prior to their appointment setup.

Telemental Health exist as short-term solutions to help students through the pandemic. For Telemental Health, students that want therapy for the long-term will have to make an appointment with the Health Center so they can arrange them with off-campus resources for their specific needs.

Emily Martinez, 25, radiologic technology major, remembers receiving many emails containing information about health services and their various virtual services and workshops.

“It sounds like they are being helpful enough,” Martinez said.

On Aug. 17, the Board of Trustees approved the SHS to contract ProtoCall, which holds accreditation from the American Association of Suicidology and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, as an after-hours emotional crisis hotline.

This service will be available when the Health Services are closed and if a student is in dire need of emotional assistance by a mental health professional.

SHS workshops and phone lines are available to students who feel they need it the most through the ECC website or Canvas through fall 2020.

“The intention is to meet the student where they are and to work through issues they may bring on the table,” Nilles said.

Editor’s Note: this story was edited for clarification