Two senators resign from student government

Two senators resigned from El Camino College’s student government this past week, officials said, leaving the organization with 19 vacant positions.

Associated Students Organization (ASO) Senator of Natural Sciences Marissa Hernandez-Gomez and Senator of Mathematical Sciences Xingbo Zhao resigned from their positions with others including Fine Arts and Humanities position still remain vacant.

“They were great members and we are all going to miss them,” ASO Director of Public Relations Makayla Propst said.

The resignation was announced by remaining members of the senate during a meeting on Thursday, March 5, where updates on finances and feedback on this year’s club rush activities were also presented.

Zhao was not present at the latest meeting but told The Union through email that he resigned due to personal reasons.

Hernandez-Gomez could not be reached by The Union following her resignation.

Due to the recent departures, ASO will be opening up their application process for students who wish to join throughout the rest of the spring semester, ASO Vice-President Giancarlo Fernandez said.

Fernandez said that joining organizations on campus allows for students to discover their passions and strength outside of the classroom.

“My best advice: Get involved on campus,” Fernandez said. “Apart from developing leadership skills and professionalism, students get to find community within El Camino College and discover friends with similar interests.”

The next ASO meeting will be on Thursday, March 19 in El Camino College’s Distance Education Center.

To learn more about ASO and how to apply for a position, click here.