ECC student arrested for threatening behavior, Police say

The campus advisory sent out Thursday, Sept. 17 showing Kazwini’s name and photo.

An El Camino College student was arrested Monday, Sept. 17 on campus, after displaying disruptive behavior, authorities said.

Thamir Kazwini was arrested and booked by Torrance Police Department after he “displayed an angry attitude and demeanor and made statements about wanting to hurt others and join ISIS,” according to the Police Beat.

A campus advisory was released Thursday, Sept. 20 containing Kazwini’s name and photograph.

Chief of Police Michael Trevis confirmed that Thamir Kazwini was the unnamed subject in the Police Beat.

Trevis said, “He was becoming very loud, very intimidating, he was scaring people, people were getting scared, they thought that he might do something because of his behavior.”

This was not the first time Kazwini had caught the attention of the El Camino College Police Department, Trevis said.

“His behavior was still the same. In fact, our officers had contacted him once before, explained to him that maybe his behavior could change…and he just couldn’t do it,” Trevis said

Kazwini’s behavior continued.

“Ultimately, this last occasion, he was inside Student Services, he was very loud, upset and officers were called…turned out he had a misdemeanor warrant for his arrest from Cerritos College, where allegedly he was behaving the same,” Trevis said.

Kazwini was suspended and given a 14-day campus restriction and a temporary restraining order was granted to the district, according to the Police Beat.

Kazwini is due in court on Oct. 15

“The temporary restraining order is good until Oct. 15, at which time, the judge can either dismiss the case or grant a three-year restraining order,” Trevis said.

If seen on campus or notice any suspicious behavior, contact the El Camino College Police Department at 310-660-3100.