Meet your new student government

The El Camino Associated Students Organization(ASO) had their elections last week, and here are some quotes from the winners.

DSCN0037.JPG
Eman Dalili was elected president of the Associated Students Organization(ASO) on Friday, April 8. ASO is the student government at El Camino. Photo credit: Roy Garza

President – Eman Dalili

How did it feel to be elected?

“It feels good. I loved (being) student trustee, it was great to do that but this year specifically coming up I’m really, really excited to be president. As trustee, it’s great to have the voice, but as president you have a more tangible hand in the organization and on campus. I have some ideas that I’d love to have a hold of and try to make happen.”

Do you have any projects you want to work on as president?

“I came up with the idea for hydration stations about six months ago, I gave it to the sustainability committee but I figured that my time as president is coming up so I might as well do it myself. I met with Rocky, Director of Purchasing, he said there’s some things to check out but that looks like it’s going to happen and if it does i’ll be really excited.”

What are you most exited about in this position?

“I’m excited about the tangible differences I can make; setting up two amazing finals madness’, setting up these hydration stations, maybe trying to implement some type of book exchange/fair for the end of the year. There are a lot of things, but this organization can make a tangible difference in students’ daily lives.”

DSCN0042.JPG
Nicole Mardesich was elected Student Trustee of the Associated Students Organization(ASO) on Friday, April 8. ASO is the student government at El Camino. Photo credit: Roy Garza

Student Trustee – Nicole Mardesich

How do you feel about your new position?

I couldn’t be more excited for my term as student trustee, I am beyond honored to be able to serve as the voice of the students to the board (of trustees). I decided to run for the position because I believe El Camino is a wonderful institution that continually puts its students ahead of everything else.

What made you want to run?

“I personally have learned so much during my time as a Warrior and becoming student trustee is a way I can repay the school that has done so much to help me. I whole-heartedly believe I embody the students’ voice and can continue to make the curriculum, campus and college a better place.”

Do you have any goals for next semester?

“Well first and foremost, my goal is to serve the students. Although I’m the student trustee, my vote and my voice is generated from the student body and they always come first. I have two main goals that I’m really excited to work on in the upcoming year, the first is on implementing open education at our school. Open education is essentially providing textbooks to students free of cost because they don’t have a copyright attached to them. My other main focus is improving sustainability on campus. ASO is currently in the process of researching and planning things such as filtered water stations, drought tolerant gardens, and recycling bins. These things will not only improve the daily lives of students but also help make EC an eco friendly campus.

DSCN0046.JPG
Hanna Chu was elected the vice president of the Associated Students Organization(ASO) on Friday, April 8. ASO is the student government at El Camino. Photo credit: Roy Garza

Hanna Chu – Vice President

How do you feel about winning the election?

“I am so excited to be part of this incredible group of people to help improve and expand ASO. I have grown to have a love for student government and El Camino and I am super pleased to have been selected as your next Vice President.

What are your goals for next semester?

“My big three goals include strengthening communication with students and faculty, giving free snacks, scantrons and blue books during finals madness, as well as bringing back the EC daycare program to help the diverse ages of students here today.”