Students explore job opportunities at Career and Majors Fair

Elena Perez
Knoel Anderson, 20, cosmetology major cuts hair for Noelle Miller, 21, cosmetology major at the cosmetology booth during the Career and Majors Fair on April 12. As well as get hair cuts during the fair, students can learn about different job opportunities, hand out resumés, get free pens, water bottles and goodies. Photo credit: Elena Perez

Students had the opportunity to learn more about their career with the help of many companies and organizations who came to El Camino’s Career and Majors Fair Tuesday on the Library Lawn.

Companies like the Hilton hotel chain, fast food chain Panda Express, and employment services company Apple One set up booths.

One of the Staff Consultants from Apple One, Giovanni Bonello, said that they came to campus to help students find work by recruiting them.

“A lot of these (students) are here studying something because they want to further their career,” said Bonello. “And that’s exactly what we do. We actually will get your previous experience or your educational experience to help you find work.”

Also, Bonello said that usually there aren’t any requirements to apply for jobs and that they look at previous experience to find applicants places to go.

Bonello says the company has an “existing relationship” with business owners, and goes with them to talk about the applicants.

Many students took the opportunity and talked to the presenters for booths they were interested in.

Asante Cooper, 23, business major said that the fair gave him an idea of what kind of jobs are out there.

“I saw a couple of staff agencies so I probably will look at one of those and I also found a marketing company which is my major,” Cooper said.

Some students like Kaylee Levi, 19, music therapy didn’t find a booth that related to her major, but she said that she still found the fair helpful.

“I’m trying to find what I want to do but my specific career that I want isn’t here. (However, the fair) is offering me a different perspective of the career that I can look into,” Levi said. “Also, it’s really helpful because being a student you’re always at school, so when they come to you it makes (job searching) way easier.”

For more information, students can visit the Career Center on the first floor of the Student Services Center or by calling them at (310)-660-3593 ext. 6137.