STEM Week

From April 4 to April 7, STEM week will take place at El Camino in various locations throughout the campus.

Each day has a different event incorporating science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

To start off the four day event, on Monday, April 4, there will be a presentation by professor Irv Drew. He will be presenting “Keeling Curve and Global Warming.” The event will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the library room 166.

The next event is on Tuesday, April 5; ECC geography instructor Julienne Gard will be presenting “Satellite Treasure Hunt.” The treasure hunt to find small items around the ECC campus will be from 1-2 p.m. in the Physics building room 102.

Also on Tuesday, there will be a presentation by Frank Flores, Vice President of Engineering for Northrop Grumman. The presentation will be in the MBA building room 112 from 1-2 p.m. Flores’ presentation is called “The Next Big Thing,” and explains the advances to technology and what it means for our future.

On Wednesday, April 6, student club acts and Demonstrations will take place on the Library Lawn from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

There will be two presentations on Thursday, April 7 to conclude STEM week.

The presentation “STEM Trek: The Next Generation- Powered by Math,” by ECC Mathematics Instructor James Stein will explain the importance of math used in everyday lives. Stein will be presenting in MBA 219 from 1-2 p.m.

The second presentation will be from EC Mathematics Instructor Benjamin Mitchell, who is presenting “A Pirate’s Problem for Me: Backwards and Creative Problem Solving in Mathematics.” The presentation is in the MBA building room 315 from 1-2 p.m., working through “The Pirate Game.”

For more information, contact the EC STEM Program at (310) 660-3593 ext. 3548.