Student government elections starting next week on campus

The 2016 Associated Student Organization elections are next week and with the list of qualified candidates posted, campaign preparations have begun.

The list is posted in the Student Activities Center, and has a total of 18 candidates.

There are 17 offices available, but five are taking write-in votes only.

Eman Dalili, who has been apart of ASO for two years, is running for ASO president and is “ecstatic” about running for the position. Dalili gave a statement to “The Union” describing why he’s running.

“I would like to serve as your Student Body President because I want to give back to the institution that has created the most incredible experiences for me,” Dalili said via email.

Nicole Mardesich is running for student trustee, and talked about her intentions and why she’s excited about running for the position.

If I’m lucky enough to win the election for Student Trustee, I have many great ideas that I’m excited to lobby for on behalf of the students,” Mardesich said. “The main thing I’m focusing on right now is having open textbooks be a part of El Camino. I’m eager to speak on behalf of the 25,000 El Camino Warriors and help spread their ideas on how to improve our school.”

The open textbooks Mardesich referred to are “textbooks that have been funded, published, and licensed to be freely used, adapted, and distributed,” according to the Open Textbook Network’s website.

Current ASO vice president Stephanie Pedrahita gave her thoughts on the upcoming elections and her work on the elections committee.

“I am so excited for the elections this year,” Pedrahita said. “We have a strong group of members running and we are working 110 percent in the elections committee to make sure the elections have a fantastic turnout of students.”

On Tuesday, April 5, candidates will rally from 1-2 p.m. on the Activities Center Outdoor Stage. The candidates will be given the time to introduce themselves and give a short speech. They will also be given time to debate with their opponents.

Voting for each position takes place on April 4-6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Library Lawn, and from 4-6 p.m. in the Activities Center.

Election results will be posted in the Student Development Office on April 8.