Student government approves $1,500 to ICC

The Associated Student Organization approved giving $1,500 to the Inter Club Council to aid clubs on campus during its meeting Thursday afternoon.

ICC representative Nicholas Castro attended the meeting to ask ASO for more money, as the number of clubs on campus has grown so large, they have a need for additional funds.

The ICC received $8,000 in the beginning of the school year, but has run out, therefore Castro asked the ASO to get more funds for other clubs.

“There’s been more clubs than in the past, (and) each of these clubs are wanting to do something,” Castro said. “It’s our job to be able to help them.”

The ICC had originally requested $3,000, but skepticism from ASO members on the ICCs process of distributing funds to the clubs led to the amount received being halved.

The ICC was given $8,000 from the ASO budget based on previous years, and Student Trustee Eman Dalili said during the meeting that the amount has been sufficient in the past.

ASO Vice President Stephanie Pedrahita said there’s an opportunity for the ICC to get their full amount in the future.

“We’re not saying no to the $3,000, we’re just saying yes to the $1,500 and we’re opening it up for the next meeting to approve more money to the ICC,” Pedrahita said.

The ASO budgets the amount of money it receives from ASB bonds each year, and Pedrahita as well as other members during the meeting expressed a need to use that money to benefit students, but also to spend it wisely.

“We have a limited amount of funds, and many of the (ASO) members want to try to spend the money more intelligently, because that’s the money from the students,” Pedrahita said.

Other items discussed at the meeting included the approval of $500 for Earth Day events on April 19.

The council also voted against approving $4,000 for food at the presidential luncheon. The item can be brought up again at the next meeting.

The next ASO meeting will be on March 24 at 1 p.m. in the Alondra Room.