EC Cosmetology students offer hair, skin and nail care for the public

The El Camino cosmetology department offers more than 50 different services available for anyone including hair, skin, and nail care.

The services are performed by qualified students in EC’s cosmetology program, and they work there to earn hours that go toward becoming a licensed professional.

“We run it just like a salon,” Instructor Patricia Gerbert said.

The students involved will spend 500 hours in the freshmen course with professor Merriel Winfree, and after that they work another thousand hours in Gerbert’s level 2 class.

“They receive a nail kit, dermatology kit, and a hair kit right in the beginning,” Gerbert said.

After completing level 2, the students take the California State Board of Cosmetology test for their cosmetology license.

The students learn from qualified visitors, speakers, who present demos to them. They are also trained european style by professionals to give facials. They also learn different types of nail art; such as doing marbleized nails and mixing a variety of colors.

“I just enjoy it so much and am happy I changed my major to something this exciting,” Noelle Miller, 21, cosmetology major said.

The students take appointments from those interested and it allows them to get real world experience.

Appointments can be made in the morning from 8-noon on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and also at night from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The department is inside the Industry and Technology Education Center building in rooms 142 and 143.

Prices for services vary depending on what the customer wants to be done.

For more information visit their website.