Union newspaper and Warrior Life magazine win 11 awards

El Camino’s student-run newspaper and general-interest magazine won 11 awards from the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) and California College Media Association (CCMA) this past weekend.

“The Union” newspaper received fifth place for Best in Show for two-year colleges on Sunday.

“I’m excited because we’re doing our job and we can only improve,” Sydnie Mills, current editor-in-chief of “The Union” and Warrior Life, said. “I’m proud to work for a publication that can bring awards to El Camino.”

On Saturday night, several former and current members of “The Union” and Warrior Life general-interest magazine were winners of the 2016 CCMA awards, according to the CCMA list of winners.

List of 2016 CCMA winners:

• Honorable mention in Best Magazine Photo – Jean-Paul Udeh, former magazine photographer.
  • Third place for Best Magazine Story – Kiana Schmitt, former magazine writer. (Note: In the list of winners her name is spelled “Kianna,” but her name is “Kiana.”)
  • Second place for Best Website – “The Union” staff.
  • Third place for Best Newspaper/Design Spread – John Fordiani, current Photo Editor and former editor-in-chief.
  • Honorable mention for Best Features Photograph – Jo Rankin, current staff photographer.
  • Third place for Best News Photograph – John Fordiani.
  • Third place for Best Newspaper Column – Sydnie Mills, current editor-in-chief.
  • Third place for Best Overall Newspaper Design – “The Union” staff.
  • Third place for Best Newspaper – Jessica Martinez, former editor-in-chief, and John Fordiani, current Photo Editor and former editor-in-chief, were credited.
  • Third Place for Best Cartoon – Eugene Chang, long time cartoonist for “The Union.”

For more information and a list of winners click here.

UPDATE: 9:31 a.m. Feb. 24: Eugene Chang was named the third place winner of the Best Cartoon section.