Creative arts journal hosts annual reading

Charlie James, 20, business, follows along at the Myriad reading in the East Dining Room on Thursday. The Myriad released its annual literary magazine that showcases student artwork, short stories and poems. Photo credit: John Fordiani

In a room full of writers, artists, faculty and supporters, there was a man in a blue and white plaid short sleeve and beige pants who explained to those in attendance the reason they were all gathered.

That man in plaid, English professor Pete Marcoux, adviser for EC’s creative arts journal the “Myriad,” explained that entries from the journal would be read to honor the submissions that were accepted into this year’s issue.

The event was organized on Thursday in the Conference Room, above the Bookstore, and he brought up the fact that this released issue had a landmark year for submissions.

“By far the best year we’ve had,” he said. “We had about 250 submissions and that’s not including the multiple from each person.”

After his introduction to the event, some of the student editors of the “Myriad” brought up authors in attendance to read their submissions.

Once several poems and short stories were read aloud, one of the editors aimed to let the artists, whose work cannot be read, take a moment to relish in the fact they were accepted into the journal.

After the reading was over, one audience member, Charlie James, 20, business major, talked about attending the event for the first time and what he felt was good about the reading.

“It’s amazing,” he said. “It’s important to come to these events, because it gives insight and lets us see the other side of people we don’t get to see. We get to know their troubles and sympathize with their work.”

The student editors of the journal felt that the event worked out well.

“There’s something enchanting about hearing people read it themselves,” Jazmin Cruz, 20, creative writing major, said.

As for the issue heading into the fall semester, the “Myriad” will be entered into the CMA competition, Marcoux said.

“My guess is we’re going to get No. 1 this time,” Torin Lee, 22, English literature major, said. “I’m going to pray over the altar of the “Myriad” so that we win.”