ECPD issues skateboarding citations

JOHN FORDIANI
John Park, 18, undecided major, rides his skateboard through campus. Park said he doesn’t see a problem with people skateboarding on campus unless they bump into people walking. Photo credit: John Fordiani

Rules are in place to protect people from potential danger – skateboarding is one of them.

Skateboarding on campus is not allowed, according to the student code of conduct and the traffic safety brochure issued by the EC Police Department (ECPD). There are also signs scattered in the inner campus that say skateboarders will be fined.

However, students are often seen around on campus riding skateboards.

“It’s a liability issue, a nuisance, makes a lot of noise and they can hurt themselves and other people,” ECPD Sergeant Dal Toruno said.

Recently, ECPD conducted a direct enforcement of skateboarding on campus. In a three hour period, approximately 25 citations were issued to students riding their skateboards.

Still, people can be seen riding their skateboards around every day.

Toruno pointed out the danger of students riding skateboards is more of a problem for disabled students.

“We have disabled students who are visually or hearing impaired and the skateboarders tend to put earphones on while riding,” Toruno said.

Not only is it that riding skateboards goes against a rule, it also defies the law. “It’s against the California Vehicle Code that we enacted here,” Toruno said.

Some students just receive a warning. Considering that there are new students coming in every semester, Toruno said that their intention is to “educate the students and let them know.”

In most cases, students who are caught skateboarding will have their information put into a data system to show that they have been warned before. “We don’t want to slam on them and start citing,” Toruno said.

Students issued a citation will end up paying a fine, which may not be an affordable amount for college students.

“It doesn’t go on your DMV record, but it is a fine,” Toruno said.

There are still students riding around on campus. Toruno cites this reality to the police department having to handle many issues. “The staffing issue is one but sometimes we’re busy with other calls, such as medical aid,” Toruno said.

Ryu Watanabe, 20, music major, said he grew up in a neighborhood where “almost everyone” his age was skateboarding and how he found it to be a negativity.

“It’s scary and annoying, so I hate it,” Watanabe said.

Justen Minamitani, 19, computer science engineering major, also sees it as a nuisance.

“I just don’t understand why the police will not be more strict about it,” Minamitani said.