Gov. Jerry Brown re-elected Tuesday for fourth term

Beating out Republican candidate Neel Kashkari, Gov. Jerry Brown was voted to be California’s first four-term governor in the state’s history in Tuesday’s general election.

“I think it’s pretty neat, actually,” Brown told reporters, according to an “L.A. Times” article. “This fourth term, no one’s ever had it, no one’s ever going to have it again.”

Alongside Brown, voters chose incumbents Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris to remain in office, according to lavote.net.

Voters chose to pass Proposition 1, which will set aside $7.12 billion for water supply infrastructure, and Proposition 2, which would add money to California’s rainy day fund, by a wide margin.

Proposition 47, which will reduce drug possession and thefts under $950 to misdemeanors punishable with a maximum of one year in prison, also passed with a more modest lead.

However, Proposition 45, which would increase state oversight of health insurance rate increases, Proposition 46, which would increase the maximum award for medical malpractice suits, and Proposition 48, which would have allowed off-reservation tribal gambling, all failed to pass.

More locally, Jim McDonnell was elected as L.A. county sheriff with 75 percent of the vote.

While voter turnout was predicted to be as low as 40 percent this election, only 1.1 million of Los Angeles’ 4.8 million registered voters went to the polls yesterday, a minuscule 23 percent, according to ca.gov.