Anthropology Research Symposium provides El Camino students with more than just money incentives

Providing a platform for students to present their own original research, the anthropology department and Anthropology Club will sponsor the 10th Annual Anthropology Student Research Symposium on Friday, May 17.

“The symposium in general is a setting for original research to be presented,”Angela Mannen, co-adviser of the Anthropology Club and anthropology professor, said. “We’re offering the opportunity to our students to engage in anthropological research and to be able to present their information in a public setting.”

Along with the opportunity to speak in a public setting the Symposium will be providing cash prizes for the winners of the discussions.

“Every year we try to give more and more money than we did in the past,” Mannen said. “So, since this is our 10th annual event, we really wanted to offer the most to our students. This is our signature event for the club and also the anthropology department, so this year we’re going to give away 1000 dollars in prize money.”

The symposium itself, can consist of many different topics and students interested in the event shouldn’t feel worried that they’d have to come with new ideas to turn in.

“Anthropology is studying every aspect of being human,” Mannen said. “So, pretty much any behavior under the sun would be studied by anthropologists.”

The event is open to anyone on campus interested in this field or that would like to try and test the waters of public speaking.

“It’s a good opportunity for students at school because it’s open to the whole school,” Ronald Sanchez co-president of the Anthropology Club said. “It’s a challenging opportunity to present research and to socialize among peers that are also interested in similar topics.”

Along with the challenge of speaking in front of peers and the like, some students who have attended the event and haven’t tried to be a speaker, will also have the opportunity to submit an abstract and application to the anthropology department.

“I’ve been to symposiums in the past and there was a small regret in not participating when you see the involvement and enjoyment the presenters have after,” Sanchez said. “I will be participating this time around.”

For newcomers on campus it has been a sweet surprise to learn of the different prize money some events may have and that has definitely sparked their interest.

“This is my first year at EC and it’s really cool to know there are a wide variety of events that can help provide money for the future,” James Williams, 19, undecided major said. “Even though I don’t know anything about anthropology, just knowing there’s prizes sparks my interest to check it out.”

If interested in participating in the event, applications and paper to presented are due by May 3 and must be turned in to the art building in Room 330B or Room 332.

UPDATED MARCH 27 AT 11:56 A.M.