El Camino College to host DUI Awareness Fair

In hopes of spreading DUI awareness, EC will sponsor its 13th Annual South Bay DUI Awareness Fair on April 3.

“This event is to spread prevention education for students,” Jeffrey Lewis, EC Police Officer, said.

Some students on campus believe this is an event that others should attend for better knowledge of the consequences of drinking and driving.

“I know a few people who have gotten a DUI in the past, so I think this is a pretty cool event for the college to have,” Daniel Flores, 19, sociology major said. “I think if they had been more aware of the consequences my friends would have thought twice before drinking and driving.”

The event will take place on the Schauerman Library Lawn from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., will include a wide variety of hands-on activities that will showcase the dangers of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

“One demonstration is a course that will allow students to put goggles on that would demonstrate what it’s like to have a high BAC (blood-alcohol level),” Lewis said.

The fair is an informative event that will give students knowledge and know-how if they are faced with the situation of drinking and driving.

“I went to the event last year and it was really informative,” Jessica Larson, 24, health science major said. “I learn a lot of different things in my classes, but it’s nice to see new things and see how others react when they see how their actions could effect others.”

Some of the more interesting graphic demonstrations of the event is the “crash car,” which was part of an alcohol related accident that will provide a visual for how serious things can get if you drive under the influence.

“The car that is featured is one that was in an accident going over 65 mph and the driver had a .14 or .18 BAC,” Lewis said.

This event has also reminded students how much alcohol can change a person’s life if you decide to get behind the wheel of a car intoxicated.

“On of my closest friends lost his father due to a person that decided to drink and drive,” Davis said. “I strongly recommend students not to drink and drive because alcohol greatly diminishes your driving skills and it can significantly impair your judgement.”

Along with the demonstrations and interactive activities the EC Police Department, along with the Avoid the 100 West DUI task force will sponsor event. Members of the police agencies will be able to answer any questions students may have and will also provide valuable information in regards to the dangers and potential consequences of driving under the influence.

“This is definitely an event I plan to check out,” Ashton Williams 24, political science major said. “It’s something that I can see helping me learn and just see what the real dangers can be.”

This event is for students to think twice if they’ve had a drink and plan to drive.

“We want students to get involved and if they drink let someone else drive,” Lewis said.