Properly locking bikes can decrease thefts on campus

Bikes.

They’re a form of transportation for some students on campus and for others, it is the only way of getting to campus.

There have been a few occurring bike burglaries on campus. Many students are not properly prepared to secure their bikes on the racks provided by the college.

“Bike thefts here are pretty annoying. Either they take the lock off the bike or they just take the frame and leave the wheel,” Van Alexander, 21, communications major said.
“Some people just leave their bikes and it’s not good at all, it’s not safe,” Robert Galda, 20, cadet, said.
Students around campus use locks improperly which puts them at risk for getting their bikes stolen. They must lock both their bike and wheel together to secure their bike properly.
Galda said students should secure their bike because it’s not the responsibility for campus police to lock them up like they previously have in previous years.
However, most students have no knowledge about the type of lock to obtain. The best locks to purchase for a bike would be the The U-Lock known also as a Kryptonite lock.
“It would be a bad to get my bike stole because it’s my only way to get to school,” Kimseang Caea, 19, business major, said.
The Kryptonite lock come in large and small sizes varying how you use the lock. The best size to get would be to large. The large can lock not only your wheel and frame but can also attach on to the bike racks as well.
“I think it’s still okay because I use the U-Lock and not the cable lock anymore,” Tingfing Lam, 20, bio-chem major, said.
Other types of locks to use are cable locks, chain locks, wheel/seat skewers, O-locks and cuff locks.
“The U-lock is much safer. The cable lock doesn’t work well,” Caea, said.
Even with the use of locks, properly or improperly, bikes can still be stolen. The best thing to do would be writing down the bikes rotating number found on the bar code so that the authorities know what bike to look for if stole.
To prevent theft is not easy, but to insure that the proper precaution are taken can help reduce the chances of a bike being stolen. It is up to the bike rider to decide how he or she wants to protect their wheels.
“I have one long chain from Home Depot and wrap it all around the frame, wheels and bike racks,” Alexander, said.

UPDATED: MARCH 25 AT 5:52 P.M.