Cherry Blossom event celebrates spring, life and memories

Sounds of beating drums were heard on campus as the Taiko Center of Los Angeles pounded away at their instruments in celebration of the 12th annual Cherry Blossom event.

Tom Lew, dean of humanities, was at the event to introduce a few of the special guests and explained what the event was about.

“It (cherry blossom) celebrates lots of things. One of them is that it evokes the traditions that are practiced worldwide, especially in Japan; welcoming an entire season, spring,” Lew said. “The cherry blossoms which the festival is based, is heavily symbolic. They represent the important of beauty and life. Most importantly the importance of appreciating beauty because all of life and beauty is feeling.”

Students from Clint Margrave’s humanities class, read a few of their poems for the audience.

Mason Kline, 21, fire science major, said that besides reading his poem, he enjoyed another aspect of the event.

“It was enjoyable. These events are important because it gives students the opportunity to interact with faculty outside of the classrooms,” Kline, said.

Also in attendance was President Tom Fallo who said that the event brings the past into the future together, amongst beauty of the spring.

“I’ve never seen the cherry blossoms look this good. This one’s special, they are all special but I’ve never seen that beauty,” Fallo said. “I think the students were magnificent.”

Margrave said that Cherry Blossom brings everyone together.

“People don’t always see each other and this event is a good way to celebrate life and knowledge,” Margrave said.

The event also celebrates Nadine Hata, former vice president of academic affairs, who passed away in 2005.

“Dr. Nadine Hata was one of the finest administrators this campus has ever had,” Lew said. “All those qualities come together and all of the people who are here today come every year and in a way they are renewing themselves again.”