EC celebrates Black History Month

Honoring the tradition of February as Black History Month the Black History Month Committee is sponsoring a variety of events, free of charge, across campus for students and faculty to honor and revere some of the most influential figures of African-American history and culture.

The celebrations begin Friday, Feb. 15 at 5 p.m. in the Schauerman Library with the exhibit, “50 Years: The Dream Continues,” and run until Feb. 28. The reception and exhibit pay homage to the 5o year anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s renowned, “I Have a Dream” speech made at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during a civil rights march in Washington D.C. of 1963.

“The library has traditionally celebrated Black History Month with displays in the library lobby. Working in conjuncture with Maria Brown, we are celebrating notable African American personalities and figures in American history. I am looking forward to sharing these materials and resources with the EC community,” Ed Martinez, public access librarian, said.

EC will also be sponsoring several other events beginning with a faculty and staff panel presentation of, “Reflections on ‘I Have a Dream’,” Feb. 19 in the East Dining Room, a screening of a film on the Black Panthers in the Marsee Auditorium, and presentations by the EMERGE Group Artists, keynote speaker Cecil Murray in the Campus Theatre with, “The Legacy of Dr, Martin Luther King,” and a one woman presentation of the, “Fannie Lou Hamer Story,” on Feb. 27 in the East Dining Room.

The festivities conclude with a Taste of Soul Festival Feb. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the East Dining Room. EC will also host a Historically Black College Fair, March 7 on the library lawn 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. where participants will have the opportunity to speak to university representatives and learn about specified transfer agreements.

“I think it’s important EC puts focus on Black History Month because it covers figures in American history that shaped our daily lives more than any of us could even imagine,” Hanna Brown, English major said.

For more information regarding dates, times and location of upcoming events please visit: http://www.elcamino.edu/events/black-history-month-2013.asp