Endeavour makes its final landing

By Viridiana Vaca-Rios

They crowded the tops of buildings, hills and streets hoping to find the perfect viewing spot, flooded social networking sites with their photos and clapped and cheered as the Endeavour flew overhead.

Thousands of people gathered throughout the Southland on Friday to witness a historical moment as the Endeavour made its final flight, traveling from Malibu, Downtown LA. and Long Beach before making its last stop at LAX.

Placed atop of a Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, the shuttle finally arrived at LAX around 1 p.m. sending media reporters and photographers into a frenzy, trying to capture the once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Michael Fincke, former EC alumnus and NASA astronaut with the most time spent in space, was among the crowd of people at LAX anticipating the space shuttle’s arrival.

“The Endeavour was the first space shuttle I ever flew on. It was my first and last and it’s really special. I’m tickled-pink that it’s coming to Los Angeles,” Fincke said.

Having spent a total of 381 days, 15 hours and 11 minutes in orbit, Fincke describes one of his favorite moments in his entire career.

“It was to reach lower orbit, look out the window and see Earth floating below for the first time,” Fincke said. “Even after a year in space, looking out that window and looking at the Earth below is still breathtaking and amazing.”

Earlier this year, Fincke was a guest speaker at EC as part of Space Science Day where he talked to students in grades five through 12 about his career and also gifted EC with a shirt he wore during one of his visits to space.

“In January, I was at El Camino and I presented the shirt and gave it back to the school. I was very proud to have studied at El Camino,” Fincke said. “I hope that shirt inspires future students to be all they can be.”

While access to the Flight Plan Museum and LAX grounds were restricted, some spectators waited by the bluffs facing LAX and although a tall fence obstructed the view of the space shuttle’s landing, for some waiting a bit closer, it didn’t stop them from whistling as soon as the space shuttle was spotted.

With the space shuttle now home in L.A. it will stay at a United Airlines hangar until Oct. 12, then will begin its two-day journey to its permanent location, the California Science Center.

It will open on Oct. 30.

-Philip Prins contributed to this article