ICC sponsors upcoming Blood Drive

The Inter-Club Council (ICC) is hosting a blood drive Oct. 5-7 in an effort to help save lives.
One pint of blood can save up to three lives and every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood, according to the Red Cross.
“It’s very important to save a life,” ICC vice president Damien McDowell said. “When tragedies occur, hospitals count on blood from donors.”
More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day, according to the Red Cross.
“We’ve done this every semester for a while now,” McDowell said. “We hope a lot of students come out and donate.”
For students interested in donating, the Red Cross has provided a list of requirements on its website. To donate you must be healthy and weigh at least 110 pounds.

“Last semester I wasn’t able to donate due to a tattoo,” Yasmin Antonio, 19, Journalism major said.
ICC president Nicholas Mitchell said students who are going to donate should plan ahead.
“The overall process of donating blood doesn’t take long, but don’t expect to walk in and out,” Mitchell said.
Mitchell also said once donors have given, food and drinks will be provided to help bring sugar levels up.
“You don’t want to end up like me and hurt yourself trying to leave before you’re strong enough,” Mitchell said.
For students interested, ICC is recommending that they make an appointment on the Red Cross’ website.
“This event is a great idea,” Cameron Koa, 19, business major said. “Especially using a college as popular as EC.”
The blood drive will be located in the Student Activities Center’s east lounge.
On Oct. 5 and 6 the event willrun from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and on Oct. 7 the event will run from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
“There’s a lot of people in need of blood,” McDowell said. “We hope students can help make this event a great turnout.”