Blood Donation Controversy

Mena
Blood Donation
2/18/2008
Slap, Slap, Slap is the sounds you hear as the nurse begins to prep your arm for the blood donation you are about to make that can potentially save lives.
According to The American Red Cross Blood Services, one pint of blood has the potential to save as many as three lives.
“Blood supply is low right now,” Juan Rodriguez, ICC Commissioner of Publicity and co-chair of the blood drive, said. “We cannot afford to turn away anybody that has the power to change many lives,” he said.
San Jose State University President Don Kassing recently decided to suspend blood drives on campus due to the U.S Food and Drug Administration’s policy, which prohibits a male who has sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977 from giving blood in order to prevent the spread of HIV through transfusions.
“The policy is a safety issue, but at the same time the F.D.A. policy is biased, “Walter Mendez, co-chair of the blood drive and ICC Historian, said. “There are other minorities that share the high risk of being vulnerable to HIV,” he said.
SJSU put a stop to the blood drives due to the institution’s non-discrimination policy. It was concluded that F.D.A policy discriminates against students based on their sexual preference.
“The Red Cross is troubled by any action that makes blood donation opportunities less visible and less convenient for those who are eligible to donate,” Teresa Solorio, Manager of Public Affairs at the American Red Cross Blood Services for the Southern California Region, said.
The American Red Cross and other blood collection groups are obligated to follow all federal regulations regarding donor eligibility that have been established and defined by the F.D.A.
“The Red Cross, in conjunction with the AABB and America’s Blood Centers (ABC), believes that the current lifetime deferral for men who have had sex with other men since 1977 is no longer medically and scientifically warranted,” Solorio said. “We have recommended to the F.D.A. that deferral criteria be modified and made comparable with criteria for other groups at increased risk for sexual transmission of transfusion-transmitted infections,” she said.
Our policy regarding discrimination states that our campus is committed to providing equal opportunities for all individuals, regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, age and Vietnam-era status.
“A person’s sexual orientation should not stop them from trying to save lives,” Mendez said. “In the end, it’s all for a good cause that we should all participate in,” he said.
There will be a three-day blood drive March 18-20 in the Student Activities Center.
“We hope that everyone who is eligible to donate can participate in this great cause,” Mendez said. “Just remember, your donation can save lives.”