Still no leads in sexual assault

Police are still searching for the suspect in the Nov. 13 sexual assault that occurred near the women’s gymnasium, interim police chief Stephen R. Port said.

A female student was approached by a man in dark baggy clothes and a ski mask and was sexually assaulted at around 7 p.m. She phoned the EC Police Department from her cell phone to report the incident.

Port said various tips have come in, but nothing concrete enough to lead him to believe that the police are closing in on the perpetrator.

“There are no real updates in the case,” Port said. “We have gotten scattered tips and help from people but nothing definitive that we can really jump on.”

Port said the victim has been unable to provide enough of a description of the attacker for a sketch to be drawn, but she and her parents are expected to meet again with campus police next week.

It was originally thought that the attack may have been connected with attacks that occurred at the Cal State Long Beach and Cal State Dominguez Hills campuses, but after further analysis a connection was unable to be made.

The sexual assault at CSULB was by four male assailants against one female student and the suspect in the case at CSUDH didn’t match the description of mannerisms given for the attacker on EC’s campus.

Port said the last sexual assault that occurred on campus was in 1997 and he hopes that once the attacker in this case is caught, the campus can return to the safety and normalcy it has enjoyed in the decade since the attack.

“We’re pursuing the case as it should be done,” Port said. “The investigation has been and will continue to be thorough, and we expect to catch the person who did this.”

The attack has raised questions as to how safe EC students are.

Some students feel more needs to be done to ensure all are able to attend classes without worries as to who may be lurking in the shadows.

Currently, the EC Police Department has a campus courtesy shuttle in operation that is devoted to aid those who may find it too dark to walk to their cars with ease.

One may call 310-660-3100, Monday through Thursday, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., and arrange to be escorted to his or her vehicle.

“It is really dark at night; there is not enough lighting, and there are not as many police around as during the day,” Makiko Yaeuki, 22, psychology major, said.

With some lights that flicker on and off, then turn off completely, there may be some truth to the complaints some students have against safety on campus. Lights on pathways to parking lots are not always functioning at night.

“I don’t trust this campus at night really. It just looks sketchy and not a place I want to be at night,” Jose Crespo, 20, speech communications and English major, said.

Fliers were displayed in numerous locations on campus.

Among a list of suggested behavior, being alert of one’s surroundings and reporting suspicious activities are some of the tips that may keep students safe.

“We are here for our education and we should be able to feel safe,” Nanako Tamaki, 24, psychology major, said.