Campus honors tutors

In an effort to recognize campus tutors, EC’s tutoring programs have joined the National Tutoring Association’s (NTA) weeklong celebration.

As part of the celebration, a luncheon was held at the Activities Center yesterday to recognize tutors from such areas as math, engineering, science achievement, the mathematical sciences department, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, Special Resource Center, Writing Center, Supplemental Instruction, Promoting Access to Vocational Education (PAVE) and Supplemental Instruction.

The concept of celebrating tutoring week began when Jan Ball, tutorial coordinator of the Learning Resources Center, received a copy of the NTA’s newsletter, which discussed National Tutoring Week, and decided to recognize the college’s tutors.The NTA is a non-profit membership-supported tutoring association.

“(National Tutoring Association) came up with the idea and decided to begin celebrating national tutoring week to show appreciation to tutors and the work that they do,” Ball said.

The program began with an introduction by Tom Fallo, college president, who thanked the tutors for “helping students succeed.” Tutors were acknowledged with a certificate and a gift bag.

Although more than 150 tutors were recognized, there were many tutors who were absent and even more who were absent and are not part of any of the listed tutoring programs but offer their services free of charge.

“It is really important to recognize these tutors,” Ball said. “They are the ones who help the students be successful; they share what they know, they share their skills in learning with the other students so that they can be successful.

“It is an incredibly valuable service that they provide it is really important that we recognize them, show them that we appreciate what they are doing,” she said.

Elliot Stevens, physical therapy major, is assisted by the campus tutoring services, and said that tutors should be recognized for their work.

” Tutors save me money and time,” Stevens said. “Sometimes when you get stuck in a problem that is minor they can help you out. They are reliable.”

“It is a good thing that they are being recognized because they do a lot for students,” he said.

Students interested in becoming tutors or receiving tutoring assistance may visit the website, www.elcamino.edu/library/tutoring.