The Salsa Club

Due to the lack of rooms the Salsa Club might not have its first dance this semester.

The Club was created a few weeks before the end of the last semester, by Adolfo Ramos, 24, Digital entertainment and game design major.

He created the club with the purpose of teaching students, with our without any dancing experience, the fundamentals of salsa as well as some bachata, cumbia and cha cha cha, Ramos said.

Student Jared Krikac, 20, welding major, has been dancing for four years and will be one of the teachers for the club.

“We’re just trying to show our students how it’s fun to mingle,” Krikac said.

The club is also looking forward to getting students involved in school talent shows and maybe even competitions.

“Eventually when we actually get a group together, a dedicated group, we go into competitions and do more elite things,” Krikac added.

Unfortunately, all group activities are being threatened by the lack of rooms available for club meetings.

“The rooms are being declined because the hours I’ve asked for to use the rooms are not available in the dance building, and there is not enough space to hold the salsa club in a regular class,” Ramos said.

Ramos attributes this problem to an increase in students who signed up for dance choreography this semester and says the hours of room availability have decreased as a result of that.

As of now, Laura Valdez, 23, business administration major, and vice president of the Salsa club, says to be aware of a room available for Fridays and Saturdays.

However, the club has only one adviser, Eduardo Barajas, Math Instructor, who is only available on Tuesday.

Ramos has been trying to contact other possible advisers in hopes of operating the club at least three days, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

“There are about four other teachers that have volunteered” Valdez said.

Among them Jennifer Bolt, English instructor, who has experience dancing Ballroom and Salsa.

“We have some options and we are going to come to those conclusions” Valdez added.

In the meantime Janice Watanabe, adviser to the inter-club council, says they will have to continue in the search for a room and until then, it is impossible to announce a precise date for the first meeting.

Currently Ramos has submitted two other applications for rooms and is now waiting for a response.

Both Ramos and Valdez are positive about finding a room and don’t plan on stopping until getting the club started.

“We’ve put a lot of hard work in to it, and we’re very passionate about the club and getting it going,” Valdez said.

Ramos hopes to have a first club meeting by the second week of October.