Student Health Center offers psychological and chiropractic help, STD testing

The Health Center offers many free services to EC students. Located next to the Pool, the center accepts walk-ins and appointments for services. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Health Center is a smaller building at El Camino, but is one where students can go and get health services and questions answered.

“The mission of the EC Student Health Services is to meet the health care needs of our diverse students throughout the community,” according to the program’s mission statement.

Students can go to the Health Center front desk and check in, then show their EC student ID with a current year sticker and wait to be assisted by a nurse practitioner, Health Center Director Debbie Conover said.

“When (students) come in, they can be seen for a lot of different things,” Conover said.

LaJoyce Hale, 20, communications major, has used one of the services that the Health Center offers.

“I come here for the psychologist and I also came for medical services because sometimes my medical insurance could be expensive and I could get it here for free,” Hale said.

Hale said that she gets six free sessions with the psychologist and she wants to use the chiropractor service, too.

Some of the free services that the Health Center offers are

• Chiropractic Services
  • Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Testing
  • HIV Testing
  • Psychological Counseling and Group Seminars
  • HPV Vaccines

But Nicole Avedon, 21, undecided major, knows about the the center, but she hasn’t used the services there.

“I obviously pass by, but I’m not going there,” Avedon said.

Conover also said that the students from the Compton Center can use the services because the Compton Center doesn’t have a clinic.

The Health Center offers free workshops, Conover said. For the workshops, students can go 15 minutes before the workshop starts and sign in. Students don’t need to make an appointment to attend a workshop.

The walk-in hours for the Health Center, located near the Pool, are:

• Monday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (STD Clinic: 1 to 4 p.m.)
  • Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., closed 1 to 3 p.m.
  • Friday: 8:30 to noon.

Students can call 310)-660-3643 to get more information, but they cannot make appointments by phone. They have to walk in to the center to make one, Conover said.