PJ- philosophies in life

In this crazy world that we are fortunate enough to live in, many people have certain philosophies that they stick to like house rules that will either make or break them. For many EC students, Philosophies are just not rules that they abide by, but for them, it is also a way of life.

Wikipedia describes philosophy as “the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, justice, validity, mind, and language.”

Many students in EC have philosophies in life that they have always stood by even if they knew it would get them into a lot of trouble.

English major, April David believes in consequences in life and smart decisions are necessary if you don’t want to regret anything. She said that every decision in life, major or minor will have consequences so you wouldn’t want to regret anything.

“I have made many bad decisions in life and there are so many things I regret,” David said. “But who doesn’t make bad decisions? Smart decisions are necessary if you don’t want to regret anything.”

David said that with her knowing all the time and being alert that decisions come with consequences, it puts her at a major advantage.

“I feel like I’m at an advantage in life because I’m always aware of consequences,” David, 22 said. “Even if it is a simple yes or no, it can make or break you, so be smart.”

While David is aware of making choices in life because she doesn’t want to regret anything, Sociology student Kyle Bennett thinks that life is meant to be lived at its fullest. He thinks that even if we make mistakes, we can always learn from them later on.

“We shouldn’t be too concerned about what we do in life because we can learn from our mistakes later on,” Bennett, 19,said. “What if a mistake is made to be learned from? You never know.”

Bennett also thinks that time is not meant to be turned back so people have to take advantage of each and every second that is being spent.

“People wish they can turn back time,” Bennett said. “It is not going to happen so for each second that we live, we have to take advantage of it because something great might happen.”

While certain problems in life can become thorns on people’s crowns, criminal justice major Marco Galindo thinks that problems are ok because there are always solutions to them. Galindo’s philosophy of “problems are made to be solved” sticks with him everyday and he doesn’t think it is a bad thing.

“Problems are actually good for you,” Galindo said. “In life we are faced with many problems, some people even hide from them. But why not face and solve them? Problems are ok and are a part of life, just make sure you know how to handle them.”

Nursing student Peter Corpus has a philosophy in life that can also be known as a common cliché’. “Whatever happens, happens.”

Corpus, 19 thinks a lot of people are afraid to do things because they might regret something later on. Corpus said it is ok to make mistakes because you will learn from them.

“Hey, whatever happens, happens,” Corpus said. “A lot of people are afraid and are uptight to do certain things but we have a destiny in life and just do certain things because if it is meant to be it is meant to be.”

While students turn to cliché’s and quotes to have philosophies to live by, other students simply turn to a higher power above.

Business student Chris Moore said he puts his trust on God to guide him in life. He thinks it is important to believe and connect with God because he is the one who holds our destiny.

“I put my belief and trust on God more than anything else because he is the one who holds my destiny,” Moore, 21, said. “It is crucial to connect with God and pray to him, not just on Sundays but everyday as well knowing he will or will not bless you because of how you are with him.”

Along with his trust in God, Moore emphasizes that we should not be hypocrites in this world. With may people going to Church on Sundays, Moore thinks people are only being “Godly” on Sundays but when they step out of church they become hypocrites.

“That’s why it is important for me to connect with God,” Moore said. “People only become Christians or catholics on Sundays but when Monday through Saturday rolls around, they become someone else. It’s not right.”

As far as philosophies in relationships go, students believe in one important element.

“In relationships, you have to trust the other person,” Galindo said. “If you don’t trust the person you are with, then you don’t really love that person.

Bennett agrees.

“How can you say that you love someone when you can’t even trust them?” Bennett said. “Then that means you don’t really love them as you say you do because love is based on trust first.”
Corpus said relationships should be taken slow because couples don’t want to rush into things. But along with his philosophy of “whatever happens, happens”, Corpus said it’s ok to make mistakes.

“A lot of couples are scared to make mistakes,” Corpus said. “Be smart and get to know each other first, don’t be afraid to make mistakes because you will learn from them and know how to handle them.”

Conflitcs in our society often happens when people lack respect for each other and are unwilling to settle differences. This lack of respect opens doors for hate and prejudice that might be too late to resolve.

Philosophy instructor Dr. Elizabeth Shadish said we should respect everyone around us and the golden rule of “do unto others what you want them to do unto you” should be applied at all times.

“To avoid prejudice, fights and arguments, everyone should have respect not only for yourself but everyone around you,” Shadish said. “Do unto other what you want them to do unto you. It is a two way street.”

In life, we are faced with many problems and issues that seem insurmountable at times. But with every roller coaster ride, there are philosophies and beliefs that always hold up, helping us get through this crazy life.

“Life has many curveballs,” Bennett said. “But it doesn’t mean we can’t hit them.”