Seeing double vision

An episode of “I Love Lucy” depicts husband Ricky coming home from work while Lucy asks him for money. Ricky then asks Lucy why she deserves the money because she is a housewife and Ricky works.

In the past, this may be a typical scenario, but not in today’s society. Women, and to a lesser degree, men have new roles in society besides the generalized thinking of the past. A problem still exists with this revolution of modern thinking because there still is a double standard toward the genders.

“Times are changing,” Diano Rodriguez, psychology major, said. “Women can go to school now, get an education and try to get a job, but that still doesn’t automatically mean they’ll get it.”

Despite advances in equality rights for both men and women, there still is an underlying discrimination towards women. Even though women can work, there still are some generalizations

“Men at work are very cutthroat and they don’t let anything get in their way. As compared to a woman, they let their emotions get the best of them which may affect their work habits making them less likely to get hired,” Charlie Linehan, engineering major, said.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment and Earnings in January 2006, more than 65 million women were hired while more than 75 million men were hired.

“That’s so messed up, but it’s true,” Analynn Lee, English major, said.

Even with both men and women working, men are still thought to have an advantage.

“When a young woman applies for a job, she is denied the opportunity because of the reason that she may leave to have children,” Stacey Allen, associate professor of sociology, said.

Also, the hiring of women can also be based on sexual appeal and appearance rather than experience and qualifications, adding to a double standard to the hiring of employees.

“I know somebody that hired this girl just because she was hot,” Kevin Negrinelli, business major, said. “She just got hired because she’s eye candy. It was not because of her brain, but because she was good looking.”

Women applying for jobs are at a disadvantage for being a woman.

“The companies ask questions like, “how old are your children?” And based on the ages of the children, they can decide on whether the woman may miss work if her children are sick,” Allen said.

Some female students are finding that acting strict and doing their job have led to name-calling.

“Whenever you have a woman supervisor that writes everybody up, she’s a bitch,” Roxy Duffy, communications major, said. “But if you have a man that is strict and does the same thing that the woman does, then it’s OK because it’s how it should be. It’s not fair.”

This year, two key figures in politics, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y. and Gov. Sarah Palin, represent more positive progress because women are portrayed as being able to obtain the presidency and the vice presidency.

“You have Governor Palin who is a great house mom, a good business woman, politically intelligent, strong and beautiful so she definitely sets the standard,” Rodriguez said.

To improve upon on this, there need to be more females in politics.

“Some women just don’t get the opportunity she had because there are people out there that are sexist and look at woman as the inferior gender,” Caracoza said.

A large double standard with genders is how sexual relations are viewed. Both genders are viewed differently and sometimes are generalized.

A solution to ending the double standards of gender can be a large cultural revolution and how parents raise their children.

“We need a cultural revolution that sees mothers and fathers as co-parents,” Allen said. “We need to raise girls to be more assertive and we don’t teach boys how to be nurturing and caring.”

One reason to why double standards may exist in the world today because of physiognomy, which is the art of determining character or personal characteristics from the form or features of the body.

“The world today only looks at physical features to determine who is beautiful and who is not,” Steven Kaufman, philosophy professor, said.

Kaufman says that this judgment can exist in the workplace as well.

“Someone might get hired because they look good, as to where the lady with the masters degree should’ve been hired because she was more qualified,” Kaufman said.

Even in churches, the double standards occur Kaufman said.

“In churches, there are few women that are preachers, priests and rabbis,” Kaufman said. “Because they are deemed at as being inferior and not strong enough to do the job.”

Physiognomy may explain many of the double standards placed of women and men today, but steady improvement and more openness to being equal will solve the problem.

“What everyone needs to do is look at the person’s qualities and who they are,” Kaufman said. “We need to treat everybody equally as people.”