A man stands alone in a female dominated classroom

At some point during our college education we have to make a decision to focus on a major that will transport us in the right direction and with a flash of lights and a hiss of doors, leave us at the gate of our chosen profession.

The saying goes ‘If you do what you love, the money will follow.’

Alvin Soto, 21, has made the unconventional choice of cosmetology school, but nothing about Alvin’s appearance is conservative except for his grounded and positive personality.

“My style is mixed-up, very individual,” Soto said. “It’s like my hair, the top is very short and blonde and the rest is blonde hair extensions and under the hair extensions my sides are all shaved.”

Soto said he chose cosmetology because it is what he loves to do.

“Ever since I was a kid, I was always interested in hair and make-up. I would watch movies and I would say to myself ‘I want to be doing their hair, make-up and nails,'” Soto said.

Soto’s mom would let him fix her hair when he was 13 or 14 and encouraged him follow to his interests.

“She was very supportive. She made me come to school and said ‘If that’s what you want to do, then do it,’ which is unlike what other parents might do,” Soto said. “It worked out for me.”

In a class full of women, Soto stands out as the only man, but he said it does not bother him.

“When I first started cosmetology I was depressed that there were no other guys, but it is actually really cool because I get along with everyone,” Soto said.

Soto has finished 1,000 hours out of the necessary 1,600 to complete his training and he says he will be done before the next year.

“As soon as I take the test and pass, I get my license and I can work anywhere,” Soto said.

As for finding a job now, Soto is having a hard time finding a place where they look past the piercings and the blonde hair.

“I was working at a pharmacy for eight months and I died my hair black, cut it short and took out my piercings to look more professional,” Soto said. “It just wasn”t for me, though, because it was hard to see people who were seriously addicted to their medications.”

Soto is comfortable clipping the hair of clients who come into the school.

“It’s like a hobby. I am never going to turn down a haircut because it is fun for me,” Soto said.

“When I am in class, time goes by fast.”

Soto attends class from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“The program is affordable and the teaching is great,” Soto said.

“You can get the same education here as at a $20,000 school.”

When he graduates, he plans on working in a salon for more experience, then working on fashion shows and runways and eventually owning a salon and a line of his own products.

“I used to think that beauty is defined by how a person acts, but that was before I got into cosmetology,” Soto said.

“Your appearance has everything to do with beauty. I think that in order for you to complete yourself as a beautiful person, you also have to be beautiful on the outside as well as on the inside,” Soto said.