Dressing faux St. Paddy’s

When my editor asked me to write a commentary about Saint Patrick’s day, I eagerly accepted it.

I took the assignment because I get to celebrate the day and write about my experience being Irish.

As the day progressed, I realized that I don’t know anything about being Irish.

I know that they are stereotyped that they like to fight and eat corned beef and cabbage. I also know about “Riverdance,” well, I’ve heard about it.

All of these are stereotypes and it does not prove anything about the Irish culture.

I embraced the assignment with excitement and trepidation.

I don’t know anything about being Irish. I know the reason for the celebration of Saint Patrick’s Day. Maybe I have more reason to celebrate.

With the wind blowing through my hair as I drove along the Pacific Coast Highway, I looked at my surroundings and I noticed people like myself driving toward Pier Avenue for the St. Patrick’s Day weekend celebration.

Watching other people in their green clothes made me enthusiastic and hopeful that something good would happen on my way there.

Finding parking by the beach is like looking for a pot of gold; it is very rare, but at last I did and I guess you can call that the luck of the Irish.

While I walked down the pier, people who would never get caught wearing a faux green beard and a leprechaun hat were everywhere I turn.

I saw cars who decorated their cars with green streamers and pictures of leprechauns.

Watching Irish performers, men and boys alike, is a norm at the Saint Patrick’s Day festival. I know that on the other side of the world men do wear kilts, but not here.

I decided to buy a beaded necklace so that I could look festive even though I was already wearing green, I was thinking that “I’m going incognito.”

As I looked at every vendor’s merchandise, I noticed some stuff that would be Irish like a pin that stared “Erin Go Bragh,” but as I looked around I saw a vendor selling shot glasses labeled tequilla.

I don’t think tequilla is a regular drink in Ireland, but here in America is completely different.

I know that Irish Americans celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day differently.

I know this because I have spoken to someone who has lived in Ireland for a long time.

As the ocean breeze blew through my hair and I listened to the wonderful Celtic music, I could only imagine what it would be like to actually hear it in Ireland.

I imagine that it would sound magnificent. in a picturesque castle in Ireland with their different shades of green.

I know the images that I have in my mind are under par when comparing them to the real landscapes of Ireland.

Now I know I have seen and heard it before on television and on the radio, but it is quite different when you actually hear it for the first time.

As everyone wears green and celebrates St. Patrick’s Day by drinking, they are not celebrating the genuine reasons behind the holiday.

I know I am not Irish, but after observing the day and having some awareness about it. I have more reason to appreciate the value of being able to distinguish between the true nature of the Irish culture and pure American tradition.

When everyone is drinking and laughing, I can only assume that they know why they are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.

Although the experience proved to not reveal much about Irish culture, I know much better than before.