Filed under Arts, Reviews, Top Stories

‘Miss Peregrine’ is a magically peculiar treat for audiences

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Tim Burton returns to the director’s chair with his latest release, “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” and he brings the fantasy novel to life in grand fashion thanks to his quirky and macabre stylings and a fantastic cast.

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN

The residents of MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (Left to right): Enoch (Finlay Macmillan), Emma (Ella Purnell), Jake (Asa Butterfield), Hugh (Milo Parker), Bronwyn (Pixie Davies), the twins (Thomas and Joseph Odwell), Claire (Raffiella Chapman), Fiona (Georgia Pemberton), Horace (Hayden Keeler-Stone), Olive (Lauren McCrostie), and Millard (Cameron King). Photo Credit: Jay Maidment. Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

The film follows Jacob Portman (Asa Butterfield), a 16-year-old boy who travels to an island located in Wales to learn more about the mystery behind his grandfather’s death. While on the island, he meets the enigmatic Miss Alma Peregrine (Eva Green), the headmistress for the Home for Peculiar Children, where children with supernatural abilities live away from the world. After meeting Miss Peregrine, Jacob is thrown into the middle of a lifelong battle between Miss Peregrine and the evil Wights, who are led by the psychotic Mr. Barron (Samuel L. Jackson).

Though the narrative draws multiple comparisons to the comic book franchise, “X-Men,” this film offers a multitude of stylish elements and visuals to help offset any flaws in its story, ranging from a battle between stop-motion skeletons and nearly 10-feet-tall Hollowgasts to the time loop that occurs everyday at the Home for Peculiar Children.

Eva Green stars as Miss Peregrine, who oversees the Home for Peculiar Children and defends them from powerful enemies. Photo Credit: Leah Gallo. Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

In addition to Burton’s stylish direction, the cast all do a magnificent job in their roles. Green is no stranger to bizarre fantasy works, having previously starred in the TV series “Penny Dreadful” and films “300: Rise of an Empire” and “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” and she continues to show her strength with the peculiar titular character in this film. While most prefer to remember Jackson in his more heroic roles in “Snakes on a Plane” and the “Star Wars” prequels, he proves to be magnificent as the villain in this film, delivering some bone-chilling threats as well as some devilishly hilarious lines.

Overall, “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” does feature some minor story flaws, but overcomes them with stunning direction, thrilling effects and great performances.

• ‘Miss Peregrine’ is a magically peculiar treat for audiences

Sports

Up next for track and field: South Coast Conference Finals

News

Two vehicles collide next to Parking Lot B; car crashes into construction fence

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Jean Liu

Profiles

El Camino tennis player continues to compete despite illness and injuries

Softball

El Camino softball team earns second conference title in three years

News

El Camino is a skate and bike-free zone

Badminton

El Camino women’s badminton team beat El Camino-Compton Center to sweep the season series

Softball

Strong middle innings help El Camino softball team win 19th straight

Baseball

El Camino baseball team has won 20 consecutive games after win over L.A. Harbor College

Softball

El Camino softball team beat Rio Hondo College to extend its winning streak to 17 games