EC to host events offering transfer guidance for art students

Pr. Joyce Dallal of the Art Department of El Camino College makes an announcement at the Art Panel in Haag Recital Hall on Thursday 3/15/18. Photo credit: Jack Kan

This March, artists wondering what comes after El Camino will be able to have their questions answered at a series of events that are part of ECC’s Performing and Fine Arts Month.

According Fine Arts Counselor Kelsey Iino, El Camino College has invited representatives from a number of California universities to be speakers at panels focusing on dance, theatre, art, and music, and at a performing and fine arts fair near the end of the month.

“Basically what we wanted to do was to help our performing and fine arts students get more information on the transferring process,” Iino said. “Generally speaking, what we’re going to cover in the panels is to have the representatives highlight their programs, go over admissions criteria, and give first hand experience on what our students will expect when they transition over.”

According to Iino, performing and fine arts majors face unique hurdles in the transfer process that these representatives will be able to assist them with.

“With traditional academic majors, you know it’s pretty black and white, you just complete these courses and then depending on your GPA and other factors you either get in or you don’t, but for fine and performing arts a lot of times there’s portfolios, auditions, writing samples, reels, that you have to submit in typically a supplemental application process to the general application.”

Representatives at the panels and the fair will be able to answer questions, offer advice, and review portfolios.

Participating schools will include UCLA, USC, and CSULB, Otis, California College of the Arts, Cal Arts, CSLA, CSUN, and UCI, with more to be announced.

Event dates are listed below:

• Art Panel (March 15, Haag Recital Hall, Music 7, 11 am to 12:30 pm
    • Art Portfolio Review (Haag Recital Hall, Music 7, 12:30 to 1:45 pm)
    • Music Panel (March 20, Haag Recital Hall, Music 7, 12 to 1:00 pm)
    • Performing & Fine Arts Fair (Fine Arts Lawn, 10 am to 1 pm)