On the Scene- Issue 3

‘The Subterranean’ at the Torrance Museum

On Saturday, “The Subtarraneans” will be on display for its opening reception at the Torrance Art Museum. This exhibit will feature various artworks created by various artists. For the reception, the museum wil be open  from 6–9 p.m. The exhibit is scheduled to run through Nov. 3. For more information, interested persons may call 310-328-5310.

‘The Red Market’ comes to Torrance 

On Wednesday, Scott Carney, an investigative journalist, will discuss his latest book, “The Red Market: On the Trail of the World’s Organ Brokers, Gone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers.” This book will focus on the “red market,” where human bodies and body parts are traded in secret. The event will take place at the Katy Geissert Civic Center Library Community Meeting Room at 7 p.m. For more information, interested persons may call 310-618-5959.

Movies

‘America Parklands 2’ at Marsee Auditorium

As part of the Discovery Travel Cinema series, the EC Center for the Arts presents “America’s Parklands 2,” a film that explores national parks from Alaska to the Florida Everglades. The film will be screened Monday, with showtimes at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the Marsee Auditorium. Tickets are $7, and may be purchased at the box office, via the Center for the Arts website, or by calling 1-800-832-ARTS.

Music

‘Musical Obbligatos’ at the Campus Theatre

On Saturday, as part of the Artists-In-Residence series, the EC Center For The Arts presents “Musical Obbligatos.” Barbara Dyer, Dane Teter, Vicki Muto, Kenner Bailey, Larry Steen and Alex Smith will perform works by Meyerbeer, Mahler, Chabrier, Duparc, Mozart, Humperdinck, Delibes, Wolf and Bolling. Showtime is 8 p.m. in the Campus Theatre.  Tickets are $15 and may be purchased at the box office, via the Center for the Arts website, or by calling 1-800-832-ARTS.

Musicians to perform at the Haag Recital Hall

On Oct. 1, Kurt Festinger will direct student musicians as they perform in the Haag Recital Hall at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10, and may be purchased at the box office, via the Center for the Arts website, or by calling 1-800-832-ARTS.

Theatre

American History under one stage 

On Sept. 28, the Torrance Theater Company will feature its first performance for “The Complete History of America (Abridged).” Directed by Gia Jordahl, the performances will include songs and sketches. The performances are scheduled to run through Oct. 27. Tickets will cost $25 per person. For more information, interested persons may call 424-243-6882.