Students build “Momentum” for dance show

With numerous dance numbers to remember, long hours of dancing and practice, the students in the dance department are in preparation for this semester’s upcoming spring dance concert, “Momentum.”
    Taking place in Marsee Auditorium April 26-28, the advanced dance students and faculty members have been working diligently to showcase various types of dances that include ballet, modern, lyrical,and several musical numbers.
    “Depending on how many dances they’d been chosen to be in, the dancers could be here everyday for hours,” Pam Santelman, co-director of the concert, said.
    Santelman and Daniel Berney are the directors of the show, and said the show will be worth watching.
    “It’s usually very entertaining,” Santelman said. “It’s a great example of creativity both from the students and the faculty.”
    Some of the dance numbers include a celebration to Whitney Houston, choreographed by Daniel Berney guest choreographers and several numbers choreographed by students.
    “We always try to implement as much of the student work as much as possible,” Berney said. “We like to take them to the next level.”
    One of the numbers include a student piece on the American College Dance Festival which will be in competition and will also be showcased in the dance concert show.
    “We also have a part-time faculty member Michelle Funderburk who’s choreographed a faculty piece for the (ACDF) competition that will be showcased in the show as well,” Berney said.
    Student lab tickets can be purchased for $10 and the rest for $15, and with a matinee Thursday show. Directors hope to attract a larger audience with the convenient time.
    “We find this really attractive not only for the day time students, of which we have a lot on campus, but a lot of staff and people on campus maybe wouldn’t come to an evening or weekend show,” Berney said.
    Although the show is still in development, both of the directors are looking forward to showcasing students, faculty members and guest choreographies.
    “We hope that people can come and attend the show,” Berney said. “We find that the diversity of it always lends itself to everybody liking something.”
    Aviante Wilson, 27, dance major, is one of the many dancers excited about the show and is looking forward to his first show.
    “I hope to get better technique, more experience and hopefully a future outlook in jobs,” Wilson said. “The directors give us a chance to ring what we find in dancing.”