Singer connects with roots

Playing drums at six-years-old for his church’s band was Tomas Orozco, 20, music major’s first experience with music.  As heavy metal music ruled the airwaves during his teen years, Orozco put down his drumsticks to rock out on the guitar.

“That’s when I became serious about making music and found my passion for music,” Orozco said.

His passion continued throughout high school.  Joining an after school music program at Banning High School (BHS) in Wilmington, Orozco played guitar in a 15-piece instrumental ensemble. The group performed in school concerts and played for the community at ceremonies, fiestas and carnivals.

“We didn’t have enough funding because of budget cuts so it quickly disintegrated,” Orozco said.  “But I knew this was something I wanted to keep doing.”

Known as Conquistadores, Orozco’s current project, is a three-piece band consisting of a Requinto guitar, a classical guitar and a stand-up bass guitar accompanied by Orozco on vocals. 

“We are an acoustic band that plays interpretations of music already made ranging from Latin American to Mexican folk, jazz and pop,” Orozco said.

Influenced by the Latin American musical genre from the ‘40s and ‘50s, Orozco, plays melodies on the Requinto guitar.  The Mexican instrument has a deep body style and produces a smaller high pitched sound compared to the classical guitar, he said.  In his first year at EC, Orozco is learning vocal techniques and perfecting his musical skills by being part of the Applied Music Program.

“EC has showed me what I could become if I just perfect my voice,” Orzoco said.   “After taking some voice classes, I saw how I could benefit if I gave myself to voice and music.”

Orozco was urged to enroll in the music program by his friend and band-mate, Esai Saucedo, 22, music major.  Initially meeting at BHS, Saucedo was heavily involved in EC’s music department before transfering to California State University, Northridge and plays the classical guitar for their band. 

“He is a natural,” Saucedo said. “I had to work on him to get out of his comfort zone and attend a college out of his immediate community.  I really admire his hard work and am happy to have him by my side playing music.”

Conquistadores play at many private celebrations including birthday parties and wedding receptions as well as public outings.  They will perform “Volver, Volver,” a Mexican ranchera tomorrow night for El Camino Society of Music’s student recital at 7 p.m. in the Haag Recital Hall.

As a band they look to increase their popularity and start writing their own music.

“We want to share our music and inspire others like we are inspired by so much music,” Orozco said.

Orozco said he has enough love for what he is doing to pursue it at all costs.

“If you have the drive, everything will fall into place,” Orozco said. “Music is about sharing it and receiving it.”