Art show displays student talent

Dressed in a typical black suit and white shirt, Conan O’Brien fans have the opportunity to  pay him a visit in the Art Gallery.A papier-mâché marrionette puppet of the late night talk show host hangs alongside a handful of other puppets at the entrance of the annual student art show. 

Art Gallery curator  Susanna Meiers, said this is the first time they have showcased puppets in the student art show and is excited to see the response they will generate.  The show focuses on providing a platform where some of the best works produced by students, in a wide range of different media, can be showcased and recognized.

“It’s a way of really getting to see the talents of the students who go to school here. It’s just phenomenal,” Meiers said. “It’s also a testimony to the instruction that happens here at EC.”

Due to limited space in the gallery, however, Meiers said each faculty member teaching a studio art class is only allowed to choose two students from each class to be featured in the show.  Sean Reyes, 21, undeclared major, who realized his passion for photography during high school, said he was honored to be among a select few of students chosen to display his work.

“It is a blessing to be able to show my work and a bright opportunity for others to see not only my work but also many of the other talented student’s art,” Reyes said. “It is an opportunity for students of the arts to get their work into a gallery environment and learn how to present their work in a professional manner.”

The show also dedicates one day to the Art Department Open House, taking place tomorrow from 6-9 p.m., which is devoted to recognizing students who were not featured in the show.

“We have some of the ‘cream of the crop’ here in the gallery but there is also lots of good work in the class room.” Meiers said.

Gina Ramirez, 22, film major, who was at the Art Gallery Monday to support the work of her friends, said she was amazed by the collection of talent students at EC have.

“Everything is just remarkable!” she said. “Each piece of work is so flawlessly put together which really makes you appreciate the passion of these artists. I think everyone should come by and at least take a brief look around. That alone is enough to be blown away.”

A gallery talk will take place next Thursday at 1 p.m.  Organized by the I.D.E.A.S. Art club, student artists whose work is displayed in the gallery will discuss their work and their artistic process.  Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday.