2nd annual Guitar Festival

With six-strings slung on their backs and melodies in their heads, guitarists and the like will be checking out the 2nd annual EC Guitar Festival tomorrow and Saturday.

“It’s an essential opportunity to bring what’s happening in the professional world and what’s happening at universities and colleges to the students here,” Chris Mello, music professor, said.

Beginning at 4 p.m. tomorrow and 10 a.m. on Saturday, the two-day festival includes a series of workshops and performances focused around guitar.

Well-known jazz, classical and rock guitarists including Pat Kelley, John Dearman and German Schauss will be giving clinics throughout the weekend.

The entire guitar faculty is performing for the first time in an ensemble dubbed the “Wild Stringdom” Friday night.

“When people think of the arts and guitar they think that it’s a fun class and that it’s non-essential,” Mello said.  “Our focus is in pushing students to four-year universities as music majors.   Not just community lessons.” 

Guitar, Cris Garcia, 18 music major, said, doesn’t get as much exposure as other instruments including piano and voice.

“It’s crazy how there are more and more cuts to music programs in schools,” Garcia said. “Everybody needs to learn music.”

Garcia said he is hoping  for a good turnout in support of the music program.

“The festival has two directions.  To have a central place for the guitar community to come and meet and to bring it directly to the students,” Mello said. “We embrace every style of music.”

“Everybody comes and exchanges music, ideas and networks,” Mello said. “And it’s free.  There’s nothing really like that in Southern California.”