Lyricist hits the books

For Brandon Salaam-Bailey, 27, journalism major, neither fame nor fortune accomplishes this rap artist. He is striving to be an influential member of society by channeling his energy in helping the world.

Born and raised in Watts, Salaam-Bailey learned at a young age to express himself through poetry. 

“Writing symbolizes who I am as a person,” he said. 

Salaam-Bailey said he has always been musically inclined.  His father plays saxophone and music has surrounded his life since birth.  By age 21, he decided to pursue rap music.

“I just took a pen and note pad and jumped into it,” he said.   

Building a nationwide following, Salaam-Bailey headlined the Burger King Kings of the Court Tour in 2006, performing at more than 15 colleges throughout the United States.

“I’m not going to say that I never get nervous, but I was more excited than anything,” Salaam-Bailey said.  “I just had fun with it.”

A memorable detour during the college tour was a stop in Aruba where he played to a crowd of 30,000 people on a beach.  Sharing the stage with acts such as Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean and Boys II Men, he said was a humbling experience.  

Then in 2007, Salaam-Bailey was the opening act for Tyrese, during his Alter Ego Tour.  Salaam-Bailey produced his own album titled, “Late for Sound Check” which was released in 2009. 

Through a recommendation from a friend, he recently collaborated with the No.1 female artist in Malaysia, Mizz Nina.  He wrote five songs for the album and all five made it to the final production of the album.

Better known to his fans as “Stix,” Salaam-Bailey took his childhood nickname to the stage.  

“When I was young, I always ran around and played in the yard without a shirt on and my uncle would tease me, ‘Sticks, go put on a shirt,” Salaam-Bailey said.

“The nickname has a good ring to it and has stuck with me.”

Salaam-Bailey is striving to reach new heights through education. 

“You can never go wrong with a college education,” he said. 

College , he said, will help him hone in on his talents, give him a credential and teach him the fundamentals of life.

Since becoming a student, Salaam-Bailey notes that English B was a tough class that inspired him.  Brent Isaacs, assistant professor, English, encouraged him to be serious, focused and determined.  

“Brandon was a top student in the class,” Isaacs said.  “Brandon is generally cool and very personable.  He did well in the class which had an effect on the other students.” 

With one year complete, Salaam-Bailey plans to transfer to a university and pursue broadcast journalism.  He wants to report for CNN and become a member of Congress. 

“I want to share my views and give back to the state of California.” Salaam-Bailey said.

Salaam-Bailey encourages others to know themselves, inside and out, and success will follow.  

“Money and status don’t entail me,” he said. “It’s about who you are on the inside that really matters.”