Singer changes his tune

Playing in a heavy metal band with long hair and piercings post- high school, Anthony Moreno, 24, music major, never thought he’d be singing at an outdoor festival in St. Gilgen, Austria.
    Surrounded by orchestra members, they played in unison as singers sang American songs knowing most of the audience could not understand. As more seats were being filled, and Moreno sang his solo, he realized that music transcends all languages, and that some things don’t need a translation to be understood.
    “There’s a moment where you realize what you’re doing is being viewed by an audience and they’re actually following what you’re saying. It’s a kind of connection,” Moreno said.
    Moreno performs with Ars Nova Sinfonia, a community orchestra at EC lead by music instructor William Doyle, according to its website.
    They traveled Europe, performing stylized world music ranging from island to Native American music with five-time Grammy winner Daniel Ho.
    “I was amazed by the music I was learning, and I wish I had this opportunity when I was younger,” Moreno said. After graduating from Torrance High School, friends of his asked him to sing in their heavy metal rock band, despite having no vocal experience, Moreno said.
    He taught himself how to play the guitar, and took vocal lessons to maintain his voice with EC voice instructor Hedley Nosworthy. When the band broke up he wanted to continue singing, Moreno said.
    “I got more involved with how music is structured and performed and auditioned for the Applied Music Program,” Moreno said.
    While taking the opera workshop class on campus, he became passionate about classical music, and fell in love with opera and all the aspects that come with it, Moreno said.
    “Opera has so much more than just singing. There’s dancing, acting, and even set design,” Moreno said. “The talent level in the Opera Workshop makes it easy to work with everyone. They’re all optimistic and we all have the same goals.”
    Music, he said, plays such a large part in his life that he became treasurer for the El Camino Society of Music. Which is a club on campus that fund raises for the music department and hosts various recitals and concerts throughout the semester. When the cabinet members graduated and left the club, Moreno became the president.
    “I wanted to become a part of the Society of Music because I wanted to give back to the school,” Moreno said.
    “Yes this is a two-year college, but everything students do affects them,” Moreno said. “If you don’t get involved at least part of the time and try to make a difference, then there won’t be anything available for others in the future.”
    He is thankful and inspired by the EC music faculty because they have encouraged him. They know where he’s been and where he’s going, Moreno said.
    “Most of the music department faculty have doctorates in their field,” Moreno said. “It has been a privilege and an honor to work with them.”
    The music faculty, he said have also been supportive of the Society of Music.
    Completing his final semester at EC this spring, Moreno will be transferring to California State University, Long Beach.
    “If you have any aspirations to do something, you should just go for it. What’s one semester out of the rest your life,” Moreno said. “If it does work out it becomes your life and you’ll never regret the choice you made.”