Best friends follow their dreams overseas

Kay smiles, turning to Pam to speak in her native language, asking her friend what it was she was trying to say and how to say it in English. Finally, Pam turns and answers the question for Kay. For these two friends, their answers are one in the same in nearly every instance. The bond is so close that they are able to finish each other’s sentences.
    Kornchanok “Kay” Chayapong, 26, and Naporn “Pam” Wattanakasaem, 24, have known each other nearly their entire lives. Two aspiring dancers from Thailand, they traveled to the United States, leaving behind their families, to further their careers in dance.
    For the two, even their friendship is rooted in dance, as they met when they studied ballet in the same school in Thailand when they were about 5 years old, Chayapong said.
    The women moved here last July to expand their knowledge in the dance field, and to obtain their master’s degrees in dance, Chayapong said.
    “It was difficult,” Wattanakasaem said, “because our parents wanted us to get into stable careers like accounting or law.”
    She obtained her bachelor’s degree in accounting and Chayapong recieved a bachelor’s degree in law, both in Thailand. During this time, the pair continued to dance despite holding jobs in their respective fields.
    For the friends, the transition to the United States was tough, as both said they missed their families. Neither of their parents initially supported them in their dance careers until they made the decision to move away.
    “We miss everybody there, but we’re also happy to be here,” Chayapong said, with Wattanakasaem adding “There are a lot of opportunities here.”
    One thing both women said was difficult to adapt to was the addition of many new responsibilities brought on by a lack of family members being around.
    “When we first came here, we could not speak English well and we could not understand others very well, so it was difficult just to communicate,” Wattanakasaem said.
    Helping the two cope with being away from family and friends is their love for dancing, which they spend three to six hours every day, except Saturday, doing.
    “It’s tiring, but fun,” Chayapong said. “We love to dance.”
    Outside of dancing, the two friends do nearly everything together. They do everyday things like shopping and cooking to leisurely activities like going to the beach with friends and visiting the “happiest place on earth,” Disneyland. Disneyland, Chayapong said was her favorite place, as Wattanakasaem laughed, nodding her head.
    Eventually, they want to own their own dance school. Their ideal jobs in the future is to be both a dance instructor and choreographer.
    It was when asked what their plans after attending college were that for the first and only time the two friends had to answer one at a time.
    “Our plans are not stable,” Chayapong said, glancing at her friend who gave a hesitant smile.
    Since Chayapong and Wattanakasaem are international students, they are unable to work after EC and the two friends have different plans after the semester ends.
    “After this semester, I’m going to go back to Thailand and I want to start my own dance studio,” Chayapong said. “I plan on coming back to the United States every year or so to keep myself updated.”
    For Wattanakasaem, her plans involve staying in the United States for a while longer.
    “I will try to transfer to a university after this semester, and after that, I want to become a professional dancer,” Wattanakasaem said. “After a year or two I will go back to Thailand and join Kay in her dance studio.”
    Wattanakasaem and Chayapong have received the Elizabeth Oberstein Dance Scholarship, for which there will be a ceremony on May 13, Chayapong said.
    “We feel honored and proud. We deeply appreciate it. We never thought we’d get this opportunity,” Chayapong said.
    What is unique about receiving this award is that it is usually given to one student. But because the duo are known as a unit within the dance department, the scholarship money was divided in half and awarded to both women.
    Both are performing in the dance concert, “Configuration” and choreographed original sequences. They said they are excited to perform on the Marsee stage, because it is the biggest stage on campus.
    Chayapong’s piece, titled “Timeless” includes nine female dancers. The theme of the dance, she said, involves the darkness of the world and people suffering who try to find peace and hope.
    “All dancers did a great job of making the dance graceful and flowy, which is what I really wanted. I love how the costumes and stage lighting turned out,” Chayopang said.
    Wattanakasaem’s piece titled, “Nostalgia” is a bittersweet dance with thirteen male and female dancers that touches on being away from loved ones, but remembering the good times shared, she said.
    Wattanakasaem and Chayopang independently choreographed their own pieces, but once completed, they said they exchange ideas with each other to improve each other’s pieces.
    “Two heads are always better than one,” Wattanakasaem said, as they both smiled at each other.