Auto repair instructor uses cars as canvas

A 1995 Acura Integra covered in primer sits dormant in the college auto-shop spray room. Patricia Fairchild, the new automotive collision repair and painting instructor, takes a moment to examine her student’s handy work.

Ever since she was a child, Fairchild has been interested in cars.

“My parents bought me toy cars because I didn’t like dolls. I had a great Matchbox and Tonka Truck collection,” Fairchild said.

At age 17, Fairchild tried her hand at repairing a “big old rusty” 1979 Chevy Blazer.

“The thing was an absolute beast and I decided I was going to fix it up,” Fairchild said. “I started taking it apart, and I was doing it entirely wrong.”

This led her to take automotive repair classes at Cerritos Community College. Fairchild then went on to receive her bachelor’s degree from California State University, Long Beach.

Fairchild also has her own shop in addition to working at EC. It specializes in autobody customization and full paint customization.

Her work is well-known in the custom car world.

“I’ve had customers who’ve won trophies,” Fairchild said. “I [even] had one car showcased in a Scion advertisement campaign.”

When she’s in her shop, Fairchild sees herself as somewhat of a sculptor, with much larger pieces to work on.

“Bodywork is a lot like large-scale sculpture,” Fairchild said. “If a car’s bodyline or curve is off, the car’s shape loses all its grace. Color is an important topic, too. Being able to see color, match and adjust color using a color wheel and choose colors that compliment a custom-painted car’s theme are skills a painter uses every day.”

While no custom classes are currently offered on campus, Fairchild is trying to give her students a taste of the customization side of the automotive industry.

“I bring in custom paint, airbrushes, other tools used in that custom work and show how they’re used,” Fairchild said. “Pin striping and wood-graining techniques are popular in the class, but there are some students who want to get into custom metal work.”

Though Fairchild may tackle a position in a field primarily operated by males, she doesn’t feel as if stereotypes exist.

“Guys are really supportive when they see women trying hard and doing well; they think it’s really cool,” Fairchild said.

In regards to her students, Fairchild is seen as a form of inspiration.

Daisy Campos, 19, auto collision repair and painting major, is pursuing a career in the same field and is looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead.

“It’s something I had in mind since high school,” Campos said. “Patricia Fairchild is an inspiration in the field because not too many women have gotten as far as she has. She’s a driving force for me.”

While Fairchild hasn’t experienced any challenges in respect to her gender in the workplace, she does have some tips on how to be successful as women in a male-dominated environment.

“I wish I could say don’t be scared, but it’s impossible not to be scared,” Fairchild said. “You just have to go out there and try your best and stay focused on what you’re trying to accomplish. As soon as you start playing the “damsel in distress” you’ll be seen as the damsel in distress. You want to minimize the female aspect while concentrating on doing the best work you can.”