Editorial: Energy efficiency shines bright on campus

With the California budget in a state of crisis, the decision for EC to “go green” has come at the best time.
The new Math, Business, Health and Science Building, which is to be completed in November of this year, is being built with all the means to save energy.
This move will save money, which is important because the college will see a cut in its budget after the budget proposal Gov. Jerry Brown suggested.
Along with saving money, this move will help the college get closer to reaching its goal of reducing campus energy by 15 percent.
The new building will be following the lead of the Humanities Building, which was also built to help reduce the amount of energy the campus is using.
In accordance with Title 24, the new buildings on campus are spearheading the Assembly Bill 32, which mandates California reduce greenhouse gas emissions significantly by 2020.
With classes being cut in recent years, saving money on energy will be a plus for the campus.
Along with the upgrades of the buildings, switching out-dated equipment around campus will also help EC reach its goal of using less energy.
With the students in mind, the campus’s move to upgrade to newer buildings provides a better environment for students to thrive in.
The new MBHS Building will also be able to house more students, which means students will have an easier time with classes.
Making the adjustments according to Title 24 will also provide EC incentives for conserving more energy.
The nursing program, which is one of the top programs on campus, will also have a new home on the top floor of the MBHS Building.
This new building will not only bring a fresh feel to campus, but will also give students a better feeling when they take  classes in a brand new building.
Students should appreciate that the campus is making moves to make this campus more environmentally friendly.
With the additions to the campus, students will now have buildings that not only save energy, but provide students with buildings that look nice and give students the comfort of being in a building that they like.
Along with the changes students can look forward to having more classes that they can be in.